Skip to main content

Interview Friday with Award-winning Children's Author Donna McDine









Donna McDine is an award-winning children’s author. Her stories, articles and book reviews have been published in over 100 print and online publications. Her interest in American History resulted in writing and publishing "The Golden Pathway."

She writes, moms and is a personal assistant from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI, Children’s Literature Network and Family Reading Partnership.


VS: What do you do to help balance your writing life with your family life?

Donna: I try my best to write when my family is off doing their “thing” and then meditate for 10-15 minutes prior to their return so I’m refreshed for them.

VS: How long have you been writing?

Donna: Since 2007

VS: What is a typical writing day like for you?

Donna: No day is the same. I grab my writing time when I get it. Whether 15 minutes or 30 minutes at a time. As many authors we hold full time or part time jobs and we jump on the chance when it comes. I always keep my To Do list with me, a pad of paper and pen. Yep, I’m old fashioned. I don’t like to rely on technology. When a thought or inspiration comes to me I want to write it down immediately and not wait for technology to start up.

VS: Is your family supportive of your writing?

Donna: Yes.

VS: If this isn’t your first publication, what was the first thing you ever had published?

Donna: The Golden Pathway – August 2010

VS: Can you share with us a little about your current book(s)?

Donna: Hockey Agony: Peer Pressure and Honesty many times go hand-in-hand.  What is Larry to do when his teammate asks him to cheat when he is given the responsibility to run the clock during the big hockey game?  Outwardly, it may seem he will follow suit, but his conscious tells him otherwise at the moment of truth.

Powder Monkey: Forced into a life at sea by the Royal Navy Press Gangs, 12-year-old Tommy Kitt finds himself in a floating sea of misery. Poor living conditions and beatings occur daily. Despite his runt like size, Tommy must summon the courage and physical ability to prevail in a situation he cannot escape.

VS: What tips can you give writing parents with children at home to help them see publication?

Donna: Persistence is key and have at least 2-3 short stories in the pipeline.

VS: What do you feel as parents we need to do to help our children see success?

Donna: Supporting them in their dreams and getting them involved in activities that are related to their interests. Such as, science clubs, sport camps, art classes. You name, there is something for everyone.

VS: You are an award-winning author. Can you share what awards have received for your writing?

Donna: Honorable Mention in the 77th and two Honorable Mentions in the 78th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions (The Golden Pathway, Hockey Agony and Images of the Past)
Literary Classics Silver Award & Seal of Approval Recipient Picture Book Early Reader ~ The Golden Pathway.
Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention ~ The Golden Pathway.
Global eBook Awards Finalist Children’s Picture Book Fiction ~ The Golden Pathway.
Preditors & Editors Readers Poll 2010 Top Ten Children’s Books ~ The Golden Pathway

VS: Where can the readers of The Writing Mama find out more about and your writing?



You can find out more about Donna McDine, her books and World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/3tv4jgf
 

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Interview Friday with Mikey Brooks, author & Illustrator

VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. How long have you been writing? Mikey: I started writing when I was about 14 year old. I lived in a rural town in Missouri and our nearest neighbor was about a mile away. So friends were hard to come by. I fell in love with stories like Narnia and the Wizard of Oz and wished I could escape to these worlds. I had a hid out in the woods that surrounded our farm and I wrote about a world that existed in the reflection of a pond. I have a lot of fond memories about those woods. VS: What inspired you to write your books? Mikey: My children are the inspiration behind a lot of my stories now. Bean’s Dragons is based on my daughter and her imaginary dragons she has flying, parading, and trashing throughout the house. She was kind enough to let me glimpse into her world for just a moment to capture the magic within. My girls also love ABC books and shows. Because I love fantastical creatures, I wa...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...