Skip to main content

Guest Post: The Challenges of Becoming a Full-time Writer


It’s 5 am, and my house is silent.  With coffee brewing, the fireplace warms the chilly room where I sit snuggled under a blanket getting my hands to work through their cold stiffness to begin typing.  A small loving dog joins me on either side as another story begins, an idea is polished, a word is changed, or a character comes to life.  Before anyone else is awake, before anyone calls “Mom”, before the world begins to glow with the first rays of morning light, this is my writing time.   Of course, then the usual get the kids going, pack lunches, feed the dogs, and make sure anything that needs to have my signature is signed and put in the correct backpack takes over, and the day begins.  Writing continues after the barrage of morning Mom/wife duties has been completed.  It is a definite change from when I actually started this journey.

As I read to my kids during Christmas break seven years ago, the ideas of Smarty Pig began to simply flood my thought.  I went to the computer and began to type.  You would have laughed!  “Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer” was blasting on the television with my daughter singing along.  There I sat with my eyes closed, typing as fast as I could.  The story and the message I wanted to get across with these characters was taking shape.  It was exhilarating, but it would be a long time before I was able to complete the story.

Back then, I taught elementary school full-time while my husband rehearsed nights and performed weekends with the Austin Symphony.   Time to write was stolen moments after I put the kids to bed, tackled the dishes, laundry or finished my schoolwork.  During the school day, lunch became a chance to walk the track recording ideas.  I’m sure that many parents driving by thought I had gone crazy.  Again, it was only moments to get stories down somehow.

It is now 7 years later, my husband has retired giving us the opportunity to move back to his native Pittsburgh, and I thought it was a great new beginning for me.  Unfortunately, my 17 years of teaching experience was not enough for Pennsylvania to grant me a teaching certificate, so I found myself without the security of a “day job”.  This compelled me to complete Smarty Pig and work to get it published.  The rejection letters were quick to come, but I have found a home in Halo Publishing International.  I am blessed right now to be able to spend time everyday writing, but I simply don’t know how long I will be able to afford that luxury, especially financially.  Is full-time writing challenging? Yes, but I’m grateful every day that I have a chance to get Smarty Pig and the messages that she brings to kids, parents and teachers everywhere.

About the author: Molly Nero loves to sing, dance and read. She spent over 18 years teaching elementary school.  Reading to her own children, she was inspired to write. The second book in the Smarty Pig book series Smarty Pig and the Test Taking Terror releases in Spring 2012.

You can find out more about Molly Nero’s World of Ink Author/Book Tour schedule at http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/MollyNero.aspx. There will be giveaways, reviews, interviews, guest posts and more. Make sure to stop by and interact with Nero and the hosts at the different stops by leaving comments and/or questions. 



Halo Publishing, Int. and the World of Ink Network will be touring author Molly Nero’s book Smarty Pig, which released December 2011.

Smarty Pig is the only one in the pig family who hasn’t given up on school and doing her homework. Although she is teased, her report card shows her hard work, while the others fail. The other pigs reach out to her and she becomes their tutor, by creating games in their home. They all realize learning can be fun and that it’s not just for school, it’s for life.

Get a sneak peek of the book at  http://youtu.be/E2L_NS2QqgM

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Blog Talk Radio Show October 7th with Guest Author Donna McDine

Join host Virginia S Grenier and her guests on Mondays at 4pm eastern for the Featured World of Ink Network show The Writing Mama! This week (Monday October 7th) our guest is Award-winning Children's Author Donna McDine. They will be talking about McDine's two latest releases "Powder Monkey" and "Hockey Agony", both published by Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. a small indie publisher of eBooks and print books for young readers. Donna McDine is an award-winning children’s author, Honorable Mention in the 77 and two Honorable Mentions in the 78 Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions, Literary Classics Silver Award & Seal of Approval Recipient Picture Book Early Reader, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention, Global eBook Awards Finalist Children’s Picture Book fiction, and Preditor & Editors Readers Poll 2010 Top Ten Children’s Book ~ The Golden Pathway . Her stories, articles and book reviews have...

Guest Post Wed: Inspiration of Writing a Book

Inspiration for writing Gabriela and The Widow by Jack Remick In one way or another, fiction is autobiographical but the story doesn’t have to be, as they blare out on TV, “based on a true story.” It’s the other way around—the novel, the fiction becomes part of the author’s autobiography. The novel is an expression of being. The author puts a writer into every story and that writer is the narrator. For Gabriela and the Widow, the autobiographical stimulus, call it the impulse to write, came when I visited my mother to celebrate her 92 nd birthday. For the last few years, my mother’s caregiver has been Gabriela. I watched as Gabriela fed her, dressed her, bathed her, combed her hair and put her to bed. But for Gabriela, this wasn’t just a job. She had a connection to my mother that was true, real, and honest. She didn’t change her behavior for my visits. She didn’t coo and perform, so I knew that what I saw was the real Gabriela and the real Mother. And there was somet...