Skip to main content

Interview Friday with Jaclyn Weist



Jaclyn Weist is an Idaho farm girl who adores reading. She met Steve at BYU and they have six crazy children that encourage her writing. After owning a bookstore and running away to Australia, they settled back down in Utah. Jaclyn now spends her days herding kids to various activities and trying to remember what she was supposed to do next.
 

What do you do to help balance your writing life with your family life?

~ I have my computer in the living room so my kids can hang out around me while I write. I let them help me brainstorm when Im stuck. There are times when I do a lot more family things than writing, and other times I get caught up in my writing and forget everything around me. I just make sure that after that happens, I go find something fun to do with my kids. After school every day, Im usually running around to various activities for them, so I wait until theyre in bed to write. Every day is a new day and a new way to work around what needs to be done.

How long have you been writing?

~ I wrote all the time in high school and a little in college. Then in 2010 when I had a bookstore, I joined a writing group. Thats when the floodgates opened up. I had several book ideas and Ive written several books since.

What inspired you to write your book (if this is a personal story about you, please share about the decision to open up about your life)?

~ Each of my books have their own stories. My first leprechaun book came from a writing prompt. My princess book, The Princess and the Prom Queen came from a daydream I used to have. What if I woke up one day to find out I was really a princess?   My Atlantis book, which is my newest release came from a group of us. We wanted to do a series and came up with Atlantis. When I choosing my characters, a friend of mine suggested having the two characters meet online. My story was born!

What is a typical writing day like for you?

~ Chaos. I wake up, get a few things done around the house and make sure my kids have their chores done. I sit on my spot on the couch and pull out my computer. Then I write for as long as I can in between getting meals done, homework, and sports. Once the kids are in bed, I write until I cant keep my eyes open.

Is your family supportive of your writing?

~Theyre all very supportive. There are times when they just want me to play with them and I completely understand that. But they love to see my next book when they come in the mail. Ive been very blessed by them.

If this isnt your first publication, what was the first thing you ever had published?

~  Stolen Luck was my first book Ive published. Its about a girl who has her luck stolen by a leprechaun. It was a really fun story. And there may or may not be some of my more embarrassing moments written into it.

Can you share with us a little about your current book(s)?

~Magicians of the Deep is about two characters, Colin and Alleya. Colin is a boy who lives in Hawaii. He is finally adopted and his new family takes him to Hawaii. There he becomes exposed to the magic world. Alleya is part mermaid, part Atlantian. Shes in hiding. Together, they learn that gates are closing and magic is dying. They have to find a way to defeat Phoibos to save the world as they know it.

What did you find to be the most challenging part of writing your book(s)?

~ I am very much a discovery writer (I just write and see where it takes me) and this time I had more of an outline than I am used to having. It was a challenge to stay within the boundaries and keep my story fitting with everyone elses.

What part of your book do you feel really stands out to you personally?

~Family is a big deal to me and thats what  stuck out to me. Both characters wanted a strong family and will do anything to make that happen.

If this is a work of fiction, what character is most like you?

~I dont relate as much to the characters in my Magicians of the Deep book. I think out of all my characters, I relate to Megan from my Luck books. My husband laughs when he reads them because she says and does things I would do. My son, however, relates to Colin in Magicians of the Deep. As he started reading he kept saying You know this is exactly me, right?

Do you have any other works in progress? Can you share a little about them?
~ I have a book coming out later this year that is my own take on Cinderella. I loved writing this book. I had a recurring dream about a staircase that never ends. It evolved in to this story. I also have a book about Neverland in the works.

What tips can you give writing parents with children at home to help them see publication?

~ Dont give up. Use the free time you have to just keep writing and finish the book. It will happen if you write something every single day.

What do you think are the basic ingredients of a good book?

~It needs to have a good plot, good dialogue, flowing storyline, and for me, I love a little humor and a good, sweet romance.

What is required for a character to be believable? How do you create yours? (answer only if your book is fiction)

~They need to have depth. What are their favorite things? What are their hobbies. Do they have a sense of humor? How do they get along with others? Usually I just come up with a character and see how they interact with others. For my Cinderella book, I used my nieces and nephew as characters and that was fun. I knew how theyd react to events and the book easier to write.

What do you feel as parents we need to do to help our children see success?

~I think we need to show them that anything is possible. Live your dreams so they know they can too. Let them be involved with what youre doing.

Where can the readers of The Writing Mama find out more about and your writing?

~My blog is jaclynweist.blogspot.com and they can also follow me on my facebook page, www.facebook.com/jaclynweistauthor

Is there anything else you would like to share with us about being a Writing Mama or Dad?

Being a Writing Mama is one of the most rewarding things I could have ever dreamed of. I get to do what Ive always wanted to and I get to share it with my kids. Allowing them to brainstorm with me as I write my stories has opened up their creativity. Some of my best plot twists have come from them.


Jaclyn Weist will be one of the Featured Guest Authors speaking at the 2014 St. George Book Festival. To learn more and see a full list of events, visit http://stgeorgebookfestival.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Tips for a More Marketable Children’s Picture Book Manuscript by Mayra Calvani

The world of children’s picture book publishing is extremely competitive. If you’re an aspiring children’s author, you need to make sure your manuscript is in excellent shape and has all the elements editors and agents look for before you begin the submission process. Here are five tips to make your picture book manuscript more marketable: Start right with the problem.  Many times beginner writers begin a picture book with back-story. It’s okay to have this back-story in the first draft, but be sure to get rid of it when you edit. Back-story is unnecessary 90% of the time and it only serves to slow down the beginning of a story, making it weaker. You want to grab the reader right from the start. So don’t be afraid to begin your story at the heart of the problem. It’s okay to set the stage with a sentence or two—but no more! Have a protagonist readers can relate to. Generally, children like to listen to stories about other children or animals with children’s characteristics. They

Interview Friday with multi-talented author, Cheryl Malandrinos

Cheryl Malandrinos is a freelance writer and editor from Western Massachusetts . A regular contributor to Writer2Writer, her articles focus on increasing productivity through time management and organization. A founding member of Musing Our Children , Ms. Malandrinos is also the Editor-in-Chief of the group's quarterly newsletter, Pages & Pens . Cheryl is a Tour Coordinator for Pump Up Your Book Promotion , a book reviewer, and blogger. Guardian Angel Publishing will release her first children’s book, The Little Shepherd Boy, in 2010. VS: Cheryl, I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. I know being a parent and writer can be hard and I find myself asking if I am giving my three children enough attention throughout the day. I am sure you have been in my shoes from time to time. So to start here is the first question, how many children do you have and what are their ages? Cheryl: Thanks for having me at The Writing Mama, Virginia. I’m thril

Interview Friday with Author Donna McDine

Donna McDine is an award-winning children's author, Honorable Mention in the 77th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competition and two Honorable Mentions in the 78 th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competition. Donna’s stories and features have been published in many print and online publications, and her first book, The Golden Pathway , will be published through Guardian Angel Publishing as well as her second book, The Hockey Agony . Ms. McDine is a member of the SCBWI, Musing Our Children, and The National Writing for Children Center. VS: Donna, thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today, we have worked together in the past at Stories for Children Publishing, however, I hear you have a picture storybook coming out this year and possibly another book in a year or two. Since working with Stories for Children Publishing and its many divisions, you seem to be even busier than before. What is it like being a writing parent with kids still in the house? Don