Skip to main content

Get Up and Get Moving

Recently I just talked with you all about the “Butt in Chair” theory. As important as it is to sit down everyday to write, you also need to find time to get out of your writing chair. This can be hard to do if you have not only manuscripts to work on, but also, websites, blogs, social site updates, workshops to prepare/do, PR/marketing, etc. However, finding the balance is very important in every writer’s life. This does not mean just finding the time to spend with your children, spouse, friends, or even finding the time to clean your house. You also need to get up and get moving for your health. I would love to tell you the pounds I packed on over the last year were because of my pregnancy. But that would be partly a lie. I had a few extra pounds to lose way before I got pregnant with Sabrina; about 40 to 45 pounds to be exact. My excuse use to be, “Why lose the extra weight when we’re trying to have another baby and I’m going to get fat anyway.” But the truth behind this state really is . . . I was too busy in all my spare time sitting and writing. As great as it was to get all that writing done, I was packing on the pounds along the way. I was also stressing my body out as well, which I did not realize until much later. It is important, as writers, to find time each day not just to write, but also, to relieve stress and get some exercise. Now, I’m not saying join a gym so you can have a six pack. What I am saying is to take along walk outside, do some yard work, take your dog(s) for a walk, do some yoga (in your house with a DVD or join a class), run, walk on a treadmill, but do something. It is not only important for your health and well-being, but for your mental state and creativity. Believe it or not, but sitting in front of a computer, notebook, or whatever you use to write is stressing you out. You might not feel it or notice it, but trust me you are stressed. Your body needs movement and a way to release the stresses of life. Getting exercise is more than being in shape, it is about being stress free. Now days, you will find me walking my neighborhood or walking on my treadmill every day around 5pm. Not just because I want to lose those nasty extra pounds, I have been putting on. I also do it because I feel much more relaxed, stress free, and happy. I feel better about my writing and myself. When I am walking, my mind opens up and my muse comes rushing in. I tend to need my phone close by so I can record all the ideas I get after a nice long walk or good muscle burning run on my treadmill. I’m sure my hubby is also happy to see his wife a bit slimmer, too. So next time you start to feel writer’s block coming on, I want you to think back to this post. Then I want you to think about the last time you got up from your writing chair and did some physical activity. I bet you will be surprised to find out it has been awhile. If it has or if you do not want to wait for writer’s block to take over . . . Then Get Up and Get Moving! You’ll be happy you did.

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...