Skip to main content

Changes Happening in 2012

Quote: “There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up the pen and writes.” ~Wm. Makepeace Thackeray
 
I wanted to share some changes happening with me and SFC Publishing. Some of you may have already heard about some or all of these changes through my newsletter, blog talk radio shows or via email, but beginning January 2012, SFC Publishing and its many divisions will be moving to a new network server/host. This means our websites will be going through a change over so if you try logging on and get a message, know we are just in the middle of a website move. We are hoping everything will go smoothly and readers will not even notice the switch, but I just wanted to make you all aware of it. Also, SFC Newsletter for Writers and Stories for Children Magazine will be cutting back to 6 issues a year. A choice I, and the rest of the SFC Team, did not make lightly. We hope you can understand and support our changes here at SFC Publishing.

Secondly, the SFC Team and myself will be switching email accounts. We will be notifying our contact lists of this change as well. However, if you want to contact me about the World of Ink Network, WOI Virtual Tours or anything related to SFC Publishing, I can be reached at vsgrenier AT gmail DOT com. If you would like to contact me about my personal writing, editing services or this blog, email me at virginiasgrenier AT gmail DOT com.

Besides focusing on the changes at SFC Publishing, I have been busy with networking. I find this time of year is one of the easiest times to put my marketing/networking foot forward. If you think about it, how many opportunities have you had to meet new people and share about your writing at company, writing and community parties/events? 

I started the month of December off by helping and hosting my local writing group (The League of Utah Writers – Heritage Writer Group) holiday party. It was a blast as you can see from the picture below. I not only hosted the party as the chapter president, but I also worked with my workshop committee chair (a few months prior) to offer a contest. What made the contest so much fun was our judges where from our local school district (teachers) and we invited them to the party so they could be there when the winners were announced. I also went one-step further and purchased trophies for our 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.
I followed this party up with a nice little get together with the S.O. (Sheriff Dept.) that my husband was invited to attend. Now I could have played the quite wife, and in most conversations--I did as much, but when the opportunity presented itself…I jumped at it and shared about my writing. Let me tell you, there is nothing like watching a bunch of law enforcement officers pulling out their smart phones to type up my websites to learn more about my books and Stories for Children Magazine. The best part…some of the officers either work at schools or have spouses who did. Now that is marketing.

These are just two of the opportunities I had with holiday parties. I also gave my picture book, Babysitting SugarPaw away to teachers and librarians my children received helped by or classes they have attended. I even dropped a few books by my family’s doctor and dental offices. Most likely, my book will be added to the other books in the lobby for kids to read while waiting for their appointments. Some may go home with workers, who will share the book with others. 
The point is, this time of years gives many opportunities to market your writing/book in a way that is not bold and screaming…buy me! Building network connections is the softer side to marketing and one that can pay off later down the road.

Lastly, the SFC team and I want to say “Thank You” for everything. We wish you all a very Happy Holiday Season and New Year with your families and friends. Wishing you all a very success 2012!

Also, don’t forget to check out the January SFC World of Ink Tours. We have some great authors touring with us every month. You can learn more about our World of Ink Tours and the authors we are currently hosting and have hosted at http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/WorldofInkTours.aspx. 

In addition, tune in to blog talk radio’s World of Ink Network every other Friday where I’ll be hosting the “What is Success” show on Fridays and the “Stories for Children” show on Mondays. You can also catch me monthly on the “Families Matter” show, which airs live on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. You can learn more about BTR’s World of Ink Network, our guest and hosts, and our shows at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/worldofinknetwork or on our blog http://worldofinknetwork.blogspot.com. 

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...

Interview Friday with Mikey Brooks, author & Illustrator

VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. How long have you been writing? Mikey: I started writing when I was about 14 year old. I lived in a rural town in Missouri and our nearest neighbor was about a mile away. So friends were hard to come by. I fell in love with stories like Narnia and the Wizard of Oz and wished I could escape to these worlds. I had a hid out in the woods that surrounded our farm and I wrote about a world that existed in the reflection of a pond. I have a lot of fond memories about those woods. VS: What inspired you to write your books? Mikey: My children are the inspiration behind a lot of my stories now. Bean’s Dragons is based on my daughter and her imaginary dragons she has flying, parading, and trashing throughout the house. She was kind enough to let me glimpse into her world for just a moment to capture the magic within. My girls also love ABC books and shows. Because I love fantastical creatures, I wa...