Skip to main content

Interview Friday with LeeAnna Kail, author of The OWL Who Couldn't WHOO




Ever since LeeAnna Kail was little, she had an interest in writing. In fact, when she was in the fourth grade, she completed a career project and dressed as an author with dreams of writing her own book one day.

LeeAnna attended Duquesne University with a double major in political science and English with intentions of attending law school after graduation. While studying abroad in Rome, Italy, LeeAnna had a change of heart and decided to continue her education at Duquesne studying elementary education instead. She knew she found her niche the first day of class. Inspired by an assignment from a children’s literature course, LeeAnna's dream of writing a book has come true.

LeeAnna currently teaches in Pittsburgh and hopes to be an inspiration to her students to follow their dreams.
I want to thank LeeAnna for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today.

VS: How long have you been writing?


LeeAnna: I have been writing since I was a little girl. I can remember in grade school, my favorite projects were ones where we could make up stories, write, and illustrate them. My grandma still has one from third grade. Throughout high school and college, I continued writing papers and poems and gained an effective voice by adopting some of my dad’s techniques, who recently published a children’s novel. My dad would always help me write papers when I was growing up. Writing was also a way to express myself. I would occasionally write journal entries and travel logs. One of my favorite things is rereading those entries and logs and feeling those thoughts and feelings felt so long ago.

VS: What inspired you to write your book (if this is a personal story about you, please share about the decision to open up about your life)?

LeeAnna: The book came from a Children’s Literature class I had in graduate school. The professor had us write and illustrate our very own children’s books as we analyzed other children’s authors. Well, I am a procrastinator by heart and do my best work under pressure. True to character, a week before the project was due I still didn’t have any idea what I wanted to write. During class, I started looking around and noticed a small owl. It’s almost as if this paper cut out was looking at me. As soon as I thought of it, the idea came to me, “Hm…what about an owl who can’t WHOO?” And I ran with it.

VS: Is your family supportive of your writing?

LeeAnna: Very supportive. My family is a main reason why my book is published. I wrote my book for a graduate class and never intended to have it published. After sharing it with many people in my family, they encouraged me to try to get it published. I did what they said, and Wah-lah! The book is here! J

VS: Can you share with us a little about your current book?

LeeAnna: My book is about an owl named Ollie who cannot “WHOO.” Instead he says, “WHEERE!” or “WHEEN!” or “WHYY!” and sometimes “WHAAT!” Because he is different, the other owls tease him. When his little sister gets lost in the forest, Ollie comes up with the idea to use his special words to find her.

VS: What did you find to be the most challenging part of writing your book?

LeeAnna: I found the most challenging part of writing my book to be getting started with an original idea. It took a few weeks to come up with my idea, to be inspired by something that I wanted to write about. Once I saw the little cut out of the owl, the idea immediately came to me. That was the moment I needed to start.

VS: What part of your book do you feel really stands out to you personally?

LeeAnna: The part that stands out the most is that the main character, who is unsure of himself and his differences, is able to overcome his obstacle and accept himself through the help of his little sister.  Not only does Ollie show that this sometimes difficult task of loving yourself can be done, despite what other people say, but he also shows that your differences can be used for good.

VS: If this is a work of fiction, what character is most like you?

LeeAnna: The character that is most like me is Pip, Ollie’s younger sister. She is sassy and confident. She is also very helpful and looks up to her older sibling. I can relate with her on all of these factors.

VS: Do you have any other works in progress? Can you share a little about them?

LeeAnna: I do not have any works in the progress just yet; however, I plan to create a children’s detective series starring Ollie and Pip.

VS: What do you feel as parents we need to do to help our children see success?

LeeAnna: Although I am not yet a parent, I am a teacher who cares for many children. We can help our children see success by providing them effective opportunities to express themselves. Whether it is through reading, writing, art, or other appropriate ways, our children must learn ways to effectively get their thoughts and feelings out. I think another way to help our children see success is spending time with them and showing them love. Most of the time, children learn by showing. If we show love, they will in turn love the way we do.

VS: Where can the readers of The Writing Mama find out more about and your writing?

http://www.halopublishing.com/bookstore/LeeAnna-Kail/the-owl-who-couldnt-whoo



You can find out more about LeeAnna Kail, her debut children’s picture book and her World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/n5bul86

Follow LeeAnna Kail at
Twitter: @LA_Kail
 

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...

PODCAST: Creating an Author Platform

Come join VS Grenier and Marsha Casper Cook at 9 am Pacific - 10 am Mountain - 11 am Central - 12 pm Eastern LIVE on July 24th! The topic is Creating Your Author Platform. Why is this important, and what is a platform anyway? It is your visibility as an author, your life support. The wider your reach, the more readers you connect with, the more books you can sell. What you do with your platform speaks about you as an author (in an authentic way) as you try to reach your target audience. It's all about connecting with people -- on a real level. It's not about shouting, "Buy my books" all over the place. VS Grenier plans to dig in deep on you can build your platform from the ground up or from where you are right now. Questions will be answered from callers as well throughout the show. Call in during the live broadcast at 714-242-5259. Learn more about the host at http://vsgrenier.com For more information about our shows visit http://michiganavenuemed...