Skip to main content

Interview Friday with author S. Jenny Boyer

Ms. Boyer is a retired nurse, an Infection Control Practitioner, whose world changed dramatically when she let the words swirling inside her escape to paper. Her story of her beloved cat, how he came to live with her later in his life and the lessons she learned from him, changed her life for the better. She lives in Frederick, Maryland with her husband Jim. She has three daughters and one step-daughter, and four grandchildren. Several of these family members are in her book. She continues to write about how other creatures impact her life, and the lives of others.



VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today, Ms. Boyer. What do you do to help balance your writing life with your family life?  

Boyer: I am now a grandmother and the nest is empty. That makes it much easier to schedule periods to write.

VS: How long have you been writing?

Boyer: 3 years.

VS: What inspired you to write your book?

Boyer:  My inspiration was the lead character, my wise and wonderful pet cat. As I learned piece by piece about the 10 years he lived before he was divinely sent to me, I knew I had to tell his story. Many people love animals, and can recognize their pets in T's struggles, and his escape from his valleys to his mountaintops, and identify with the lessons he taught and reinforced for me.

VS: What is a typical writing day like for you? 

Boyer: I am an early riser, so 4-5 am is when I like to start writing. This time could last anywhere from 2-8 hours. It is great being able to be flexible.

VS: Is your family supportive of your writing?

Boyer: Most of them can't believe I have started a new career, and yes, they support me in this endeavor.

VS: Can you share with us a little about your current book?

Boyer: The book is about the life of a wonderful tabby cat whose zest for living helped him meet and overcome the challenges he faced. T appeared, I am sure, by divine guidance in my yard somewhere in the second half of his 20+ years. As I wrote of our time together, I was amazed at all the life lessons he reinforced for me and others. These lessons alone became one of the reasons that I felt compelled to finish and then publish his story. Daily T reminded me that the most important of life's lesson are very simple. It is we who complicate things, and miss out on obvious blessings. Things like baking in the sun, sipping water from a leaf cup, or a stroll through the woods can enrich a day that might otherwise be taken for granted.

VS: What did you find to be the most challenging part of writing your book?

Boyer: Just getting started was challenging, writing that first word. However, allowing other people to read what I had written took a lot of courage. I was very protective of my words.

VS: What part of your book do you feel really stands out to you personally?  

Boyer: The very first chapter, which tells how SpecialT entered my life. It was not by chance that T ended up at my home. However, the path he had to take to get there was not an easy one.

VS: What event do you feel was the turning point to your inspirational story?

Boyer: Chapter 8 was a turning point because the cat later known as SpecialT chose to leave the barn of many cats, not knowing where his path would lead him, but knowing he had to go.

VS: Do you have any other works in progress? Can you share a little about them?

Boyer: I have a collection of 14 short stories about different little creatures. I hope to publish this work in the future.

VS: What tips can you give writing parents with children at home to help them see publication?

Boyer: If it is your time to write, you must make the time.

VS: What do you think are the basic ingredients of a good book? 

Boyer: Interesting characters, and an appealing story plot that keeps you guessing until the very end.

VS: What do you feel as parents we need to do to help our children see success?

Boyer: Children need to know we believe in their abilities and we need to applaud them on their journey whenever we can.

VS: Where can the readers of The Writing Mama find out more about and your writing?

Boyer: I am on Facebook, and can be contacted on email for a signed copy of the book at sjennyboyer@gmail.com. The book may be purchased on line at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and HALO Publishing International.

VS: Is there anything else you would like to share with us about being a “Writing Mama or Dad”? 

Boyer: The earlier you begin, the more years you will be able to explore your passion.  Good Luck, from a Gram.





Title: SpecialT: Nine Lives - Nine Names
Author: S. Jenny Boyer
Publisher: Halo Publishing, Int.
ISBN Number: 978-1-61244-074-3
Genre of Book: Non-Fiction/Inspirational
Pgs: 100


You can find out more about Jenny Boyer, her book and World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/myydudk 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Friday with multi-talented author, Cheryl Malandrinos

Cheryl Malandrinos is a freelance writer and editor from Western Massachusetts . A regular contributor to Writer2Writer, her articles focus on increasing productivity through time management and organization. A founding member of Musing Our Children , Ms. Malandrinos is also the Editor-in-Chief of the group's quarterly newsletter, Pages & Pens . Cheryl is a Tour Coordinator for Pump Up Your Book Promotion , a book reviewer, and blogger. Guardian Angel Publishing will release her first children’s book, The Little Shepherd Boy, in 2010. VS: Cheryl, I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. I know being a parent and writer can be hard and I find myself asking if I am giving my three children enough attention throughout the day. I am sure you have been in my shoes from time to time. So to start here is the first question, how many children do you have and what are their ages? Cheryl: Thanks for having me at The Writing Mama, Virginia. I’m thril

Why Do You Need a Book Trailer

Many writers and illustrators ask me, "Is it really important to have a book trailer for my upcoming book?" My answer is "YES!" Book and Event trailers are a lot like movie trailers. They catch viewer interest if done right. I don’t know if you have noticed, but many BIG publishing houses have discovered the importance of book trailers. They believe in them so much that you can catch them as television commercials. Something you didn’t see 20, 10 and even 5 years ago! Book and event trailers are fast becoming the future in marketing, promotions and school events. Similar to a movie trailer, a book trailer is a marketing tool to assist authors, illustrators and publishers in promoting their work by creating a viral marketing campaign online. You may even have noticed event trailers or home videos making it on the home pages of places such as Yahoo.com. Why is this? Because people are spending more and more time online, and they are looking for entertainment. Wh

VBT-Guest Author Spotlight Donna McDine

      Donna McDine is an award-winning children's author, Honorable Mention in the 77th and two Honorable Mentions in the 78 th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions. Her stories have been published in many print and online publications and her interest in American History resulted in writing and publishing The Golden Pathway. Donna has two more books under contract with Guardian Angel Publishing, The Hockey Agony and Powder Monkey . She writes, moms and is the Editor-in-Chief for Guardian Angel Kids and Publicist for the National Writing for Children Center from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI and Musing Our Children.                What excites you most about your book’s topic? Why did you choose it?       The Underground Railroad was a pivotal time in American history, one that should never be repeated. It is my hope by keeping history alive for each generation that these huge mistakes will never reoccur. Q.     How lon