Skip to main content

What is Your Writing Priority?



Every New Year, people sit down and write out their resolutions on the things they want to happen over the next year. The lists can be long or short, it doesn’t matter. We all have done it, but how often do you complete the goals listed? Rarely in my case; so I spent all of January doing more than just writing my New Year Resolutions, I spent time thinking about what I really wanted to see happen in 2015 and then took it a step further by listing ways to make those things happen. I also looked long and hard at the things I have been working on and doing. I evaluated each of them and the ones that weren’t taking me where I wanted to be I dropped off my list of things to work on in the New Year. 

Once I was happy with the list I had, I began looking at my time and seeing if there was enough time in my week and daily to work on each item. In some cases…I didn’t. I was right back to reworking my list and making sure I was putting goals in the right priority. A few things at the top of my list I wish I could remove or move down, but they have proved to be important in building my reputation over the last few years. However, I was able to reduce the amount of time spent on those things to make room for others. It’s a delicate balance and one I’m willing to tweak until just right.

As writers, we have many goals, but we seldom take the time to outline how to reach those goals. I have many things I want to do as a writer, blog talk host and writing coach, but I can’t do them all. I also need to reflect and really think about if the things I want to do are beneficial to my writing career. I don’t mind doing a few things for fun, but ultimately I need to keep my focus on what will move my career forward, make me a better writer and help me reach my goals.

There are lots of writing opportunities out there, but do you know what your writing priorities are? Do you have an outline in place? Are you carving out the right amount of time to get things done? If you don’t, I challenge you to sit down and get your lists refined to help you meet your 2015 writing goals.

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

WOI - Academy Awards Special - Let's Talk about The 2015 Academy Awards

Welcome to BlogTalkRadio's featured World of Ink Network. Join Virginia S Grenier and Marsha Casper Cook on Wed. Feb 25 - 9PM EST - 8 PM CST - 7 PM MT - 6 PM PST - It's all about the dream! It's going to be a great show with their guests, RJ Jeffreys, Melissa Keir, Arnold Rudnick,Kelly Abell and Joanna Lee Doster. On this special WOI: What Is Success show, you'll get the latest news about the 2015 Oscars who won, who lost, who cried and who laughed at the 87th Academy Awards ! Missed what happened and want to get the whole scoop? Visit http://oscar.go.com/ to get 2015 Oscars highlights from the red carpet to winning speeches! Listen in and have some fun! We invited you to post comments and questions in the chatroom. The World of Ink Network brings you show topics such as books, writing, interviews, self-help, empowerment, families and much more. For more info http://www.worldofinknetwork.com http://www.michiganavenuemedia.com Listen live or ...

Guest Post Wed: Creating Unique Characters

Too many characters in novels are too much alike. As a result, the stories and the characters' actions (and reactions) become predictable. You'd already know what would happen only a few chapters in the story! This is what you want to avoid when you're writing your own story – having characters that are too much like the other characters. There are way you can create characters that are different enough from each other that your readers won't get bored. Here are a few tips on how to do just that...