Skip to main content

Interview Friday with Author Lawrence Elliott



Lawrence Elliott was born in one of the beautiful islands of the Bahamas called New Providence. He is married to a lovely lady named Deborah. His passion is to teach the laws of life in a practical way. Presently, he volunteers teaching junior high school boys the word of God, in a group called the Christian Boys Movement. Additionally, Mr. Elliott volunteered teaching ‘at risk’ high school boys, the principles of life at a special institute designed for them.


VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today, Lawrence. So let’s get things started for the interview. What do you do to help balance your writing life with your family life?

Lawrence: I tend to write in the mornings after my children go to work and my grand children go to school. Only my wife and I are home during this time. My wife has a physical challenge, so she is unable to work, my job know is to take care of my wife. During the day I write and take care of my wife. In the evenings I relax with my wife, children, and grandchildren. Sometimes I write late at night when the house is quiet.

VS: How long have you been writing?

Lawrence: Several years ago, I started to write books on different subjects. Almost all of them were never completed. Early in 2014, I began writing, "Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living". At the end of 2014, it was published.

VS: What inspired you to write your book "Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living?"

Lawrence: My inspiration for this book came from the Holy Spirit. One day as I was lying across my bed, I heard a few proverbs popped into my head. The Holy Spirit told me to write a book of proverbs and call it, "Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living". I responded by saying, "Five or six proverbs cannot fill a book". He replied, if you do not write down the ones that I have given you, then how do you expect me to give you more. I immediately jumped up and wrote down the proverbs and the rest is history. I decided to tell this personal story, because there are people out there who are hearing the voice of God to do something. This story will help them to get started, in order for them to accomplish the request of God. Sometimes as human beings, we need a little inspiration.

VS: Is your family supportive of your writing?

Lawrence: My family was very supportive of me writing a book. My wife continually prayed for me and encourages me to keep moving forward. Her inspirational words helped me tremendously. My children consistently helped me by typing my writings into the computer. My wife even helped me financially with publishing the book. I received great support from my family.

VS: Can you share with us a little about your current book?

Lawrence: My book, "Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living" is a book about vital wisdom principles in order to have a live of peace and joy. This book gives you insight on how to avoid the convoluted problems in this world. The book also teaches the reader how to have insight to avoid problematic situations. Overall it is simple but yet profound, to help the reader to live a truly successful life.

VS: What did you find to be the most challenging part of writing your book?

Lawrence: The most challenging part of writing my book was ensuring that the reader receives the maximum benefits from the proverbs. I had to tweak and sometime re-tweak the proverbs so that I could reach that goal.

VS: What part of your book do you feel really stands out to you personally?

Lawrence: The part of the book that really stands out to me personally is called "A man of Rectitude". This is a good picture of who a real man is. This section will teach men how to become a real man. It will also teach women what to look for in order to have a real man. Society needs this information. I surely love this section of the book.

VS: If this is a nonfiction book/inspirational book, what event do you feel was the turning point to your story?

Lawrence: My book is not a story. It is a book of wisdom keys. I personally do not have a turning point. I only have proverbs that I need and some that I don't need as much.

VS: What tips can you give writing parents with children at home to help them see publication?

Lawrence: I would say to writing parents who have children at home, you must balance your time and manage it correctly. Set aside a writing time when the children are occupied with another adult or when they are asleep. This strategy will help very well to get your book public in reasonable time frame.

VS: What do you think are the basic ingredients of a good book?

Lawrence: The basic ingredients of a good book are, an interesting topic, a relevant story, a well presented work and most importantly information that would help the reader move forward in their life. Even if the book is entertaining it should still benefit the reader in a positive way.

VS: What do you feel as parents we need to do to help our children see success?

Lawrence: The first thing one should do is to live a good positive life, because children tend to gravitate more to what they see, rather than what they hear. We as parents should teach them, but even more so, train them in the success laws of life. Education also plays a vital role along with love and discipline.

VS: Have you received any awards for your writing?

Lawrence: I have not received any awards for my writing as yet. However, I expect to receive some very soon.

VS: Where can the readers of The Writing Mama find out more about and your writing?

Lawrence: My readers and The Writing Mama can find out more about me and my writing on Facebook. www.facebook.com/zirconempowerment.

VS: Is there anything else you would like to share with us about being a “Writing Dad”?

Lawrence: It is an awesome experience being a writing Dad. It is a wonderful thing to put your words on paper to help encourage or inspire someone. We are all placed on this planet to help someone in some way. Be blessed. 



Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Interview Friday with Mikey Brooks, author & Illustrator

VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. How long have you been writing? Mikey: I started writing when I was about 14 year old. I lived in a rural town in Missouri and our nearest neighbor was about a mile away. So friends were hard to come by. I fell in love with stories like Narnia and the Wizard of Oz and wished I could escape to these worlds. I had a hid out in the woods that surrounded our farm and I wrote about a world that existed in the reflection of a pond. I have a lot of fond memories about those woods. VS: What inspired you to write your books? Mikey: My children are the inspiration behind a lot of my stories now. Bean’s Dragons is based on my daughter and her imaginary dragons she has flying, parading, and trashing throughout the house. She was kind enough to let me glimpse into her world for just a moment to capture the magic within. My girls also love ABC books and shows. Because I love fantastical creatures, I wa...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...