Skip to main content

Interview Friday with Author Lawrence Elliott



Lawrence Elliott was born in one of the beautiful islands of the Bahamas called New Providence. He is married to a lovely lady named Deborah. His passion is to teach the laws of life in a practical way. Presently, he volunteers teaching junior high school boys the word of God, in a group called the Christian Boys Movement. Additionally, Mr. Elliott volunteered teaching ‘at risk’ high school boys, the principles of life at a special institute designed for them.


VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today, Lawrence. So let’s get things started for the interview. What do you do to help balance your writing life with your family life?

Lawrence: I tend to write in the mornings after my children go to work and my grand children go to school. Only my wife and I are home during this time. My wife has a physical challenge, so she is unable to work, my job know is to take care of my wife. During the day I write and take care of my wife. In the evenings I relax with my wife, children, and grandchildren. Sometimes I write late at night when the house is quiet.

VS: How long have you been writing?

Lawrence: Several years ago, I started to write books on different subjects. Almost all of them were never completed. Early in 2014, I began writing, "Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living". At the end of 2014, it was published.

VS: What inspired you to write your book "Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living?"

Lawrence: My inspiration for this book came from the Holy Spirit. One day as I was lying across my bed, I heard a few proverbs popped into my head. The Holy Spirit told me to write a book of proverbs and call it, "Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living". I responded by saying, "Five or six proverbs cannot fill a book". He replied, if you do not write down the ones that I have given you, then how do you expect me to give you more. I immediately jumped up and wrote down the proverbs and the rest is history. I decided to tell this personal story, because there are people out there who are hearing the voice of God to do something. This story will help them to get started, in order for them to accomplish the request of God. Sometimes as human beings, we need a little inspiration.

VS: Is your family supportive of your writing?

Lawrence: My family was very supportive of me writing a book. My wife continually prayed for me and encourages me to keep moving forward. Her inspirational words helped me tremendously. My children consistently helped me by typing my writings into the computer. My wife even helped me financially with publishing the book. I received great support from my family.

VS: Can you share with us a little about your current book?

Lawrence: My book, "Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living" is a book about vital wisdom principles in order to have a live of peace and joy. This book gives you insight on how to avoid the convoluted problems in this world. The book also teaches the reader how to have insight to avoid problematic situations. Overall it is simple but yet profound, to help the reader to live a truly successful life.

VS: What did you find to be the most challenging part of writing your book?

Lawrence: The most challenging part of writing my book was ensuring that the reader receives the maximum benefits from the proverbs. I had to tweak and sometime re-tweak the proverbs so that I could reach that goal.

VS: What part of your book do you feel really stands out to you personally?

Lawrence: The part of the book that really stands out to me personally is called "A man of Rectitude". This is a good picture of who a real man is. This section will teach men how to become a real man. It will also teach women what to look for in order to have a real man. Society needs this information. I surely love this section of the book.

VS: If this is a nonfiction book/inspirational book, what event do you feel was the turning point to your story?

Lawrence: My book is not a story. It is a book of wisdom keys. I personally do not have a turning point. I only have proverbs that I need and some that I don't need as much.

VS: What tips can you give writing parents with children at home to help them see publication?

Lawrence: I would say to writing parents who have children at home, you must balance your time and manage it correctly. Set aside a writing time when the children are occupied with another adult or when they are asleep. This strategy will help very well to get your book public in reasonable time frame.

VS: What do you think are the basic ingredients of a good book?

Lawrence: The basic ingredients of a good book are, an interesting topic, a relevant story, a well presented work and most importantly information that would help the reader move forward in their life. Even if the book is entertaining it should still benefit the reader in a positive way.

VS: What do you feel as parents we need to do to help our children see success?

Lawrence: The first thing one should do is to live a good positive life, because children tend to gravitate more to what they see, rather than what they hear. We as parents should teach them, but even more so, train them in the success laws of life. Education also plays a vital role along with love and discipline.

VS: Have you received any awards for your writing?

Lawrence: I have not received any awards for my writing as yet. However, I expect to receive some very soon.

VS: Where can the readers of The Writing Mama find out more about and your writing?

Lawrence: My readers and The Writing Mama can find out more about me and my writing on Facebook. www.facebook.com/zirconempowerment.

VS: Is there anything else you would like to share with us about being a “Writing Dad”?

Lawrence: It is an awesome experience being a writing Dad. It is a wonderful thing to put your words on paper to help encourage or inspire someone. We are all placed on this planet to help someone in some way. Be blessed. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Friday with multi-talented author, Cheryl Malandrinos

Cheryl Malandrinos is a freelance writer and editor from Western Massachusetts . A regular contributor to Writer2Writer, her articles focus on increasing productivity through time management and organization. A founding member of Musing Our Children , Ms. Malandrinos is also the Editor-in-Chief of the group's quarterly newsletter, Pages & Pens . Cheryl is a Tour Coordinator for Pump Up Your Book Promotion , a book reviewer, and blogger. Guardian Angel Publishing will release her first children’s book, The Little Shepherd Boy, in 2010. VS: Cheryl, I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. I know being a parent and writer can be hard and I find myself asking if I am giving my three children enough attention throughout the day. I am sure you have been in my shoes from time to time. So to start here is the first question, how many children do you have and what are their ages? Cheryl: Thanks for having me at The Writing Mama, Virginia. I’m thril

Five Tips for a More Marketable Children’s Picture Book Manuscript by Mayra Calvani

The world of children’s picture book publishing is extremely competitive. If you’re an aspiring children’s author, you need to make sure your manuscript is in excellent shape and has all the elements editors and agents look for before you begin the submission process. Here are five tips to make your picture book manuscript more marketable: Start right with the problem.  Many times beginner writers begin a picture book with back-story. It’s okay to have this back-story in the first draft, but be sure to get rid of it when you edit. Back-story is unnecessary 90% of the time and it only serves to slow down the beginning of a story, making it weaker. You want to grab the reader right from the start. So don’t be afraid to begin your story at the heart of the problem. It’s okay to set the stage with a sentence or two—but no more! Have a protagonist readers can relate to. Generally, children like to listen to stories about other children or animals with children’s characteristics. They

VBT-Guest Author Spotlight Donna McDine

      Donna McDine is an award-winning children's author, Honorable Mention in the 77th and two Honorable Mentions in the 78 th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions. Her stories have been published in many print and online publications and her interest in American History resulted in writing and publishing The Golden Pathway. Donna has two more books under contract with Guardian Angel Publishing, The Hockey Agony and Powder Monkey . She writes, moms and is the Editor-in-Chief for Guardian Angel Kids and Publicist for the National Writing for Children Center from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI and Musing Our Children.                What excites you most about your book’s topic? Why did you choose it?       The Underground Railroad was a pivotal time in American history, one that should never be repeated. It is my hope by keeping history alive for each generation that these huge mistakes will never reoccur. Q.     How lon