Skip to main content

Set Goals to Achieve Writing Success

Overcome writing blocks and writing anxieties by setting goals!

If you find yourself wanting to become an Expert Author, but are anxious about your writing abilities, or feel you have exhausted every writing bone in your body, listen up: YOU CAN WRITE!

Goal setting, in article writing, in business, in publication and even in one's personal life, helps you focus your efforts into a plan. Whenever you are stuck or feel anxiety looming, you can refer to this plan and stay on the road to success.

Here are some tips on how you can effectively set goals and conquer any writing anxieties once and for all.

1. Set a Goal
Setting a goal can be as broad as "I want to write more articles or books," or something a little more focused as "I want to master 2 niches related to my expertise."

Once you have set a goal, it will become your mission to achieve this goal. When you are in a tight spot, you can revert back to your original goal and consider the following:

  • My Goal is…
  • Will this help me achieve my goal?
2. Plan Strategically
Now that you've set your goal, begin implementing measures to achieve it by breaking the goal down into manageable tasks over a period of time. Most writers feel overwhelmed because they focus on the big picture or overall goal.

By breaking down your goal into smaller goals you take pressure off your muse and stop focusing on the main finish line. Instead you might focus on acquiring resources to develop your knowledge base. Challenging yourself by stepping a degree outside of your comfort zone.

You'll surprise yourself with what you can do!

For instance, if my goal is to write more blog posts, my plan might look like this:
"I will write 5 blog posts this month."

Once I've achieved that goal, I'll step it up and write 10 pages of my novel the next week.

3. Set Milestones with Quality Checks
In order to stay the course and prevent yourself from goal derailment, ensure you've set milestones and quality checks.

Milestones can be used to reward yourself and measure your progress. Quality checks can be used to ensure you don't derail completely and sacrifice your credibility and writing time.

For example, I will reward myself when my 5 blog posts are finished. To ensure I'm reaching my audience, providing informative content, and not submitting my blog posts with reckless abandon, I will track which posts were published and if there were any problems along the way.

For example on my book/novel goals, I will reward myself when I've completed 10 or 20 pages. To ensure I'm engaging my readership and providing engaging content, I will submit my work to my critique buddy for feedback and double check what I've written against my book's outline.

No matter your goal and play it's important to write every day. 

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...

PODCAST: Creating an Author Platform

Come join VS Grenier and Marsha Casper Cook at 9 am Pacific - 10 am Mountain - 11 am Central - 12 pm Eastern LIVE on July 24th! The topic is Creating Your Author Platform. Why is this important, and what is a platform anyway? It is your visibility as an author, your life support. The wider your reach, the more readers you connect with, the more books you can sell. What you do with your platform speaks about you as an author (in an authentic way) as you try to reach your target audience. It's all about connecting with people -- on a real level. It's not about shouting, "Buy my books" all over the place. VS Grenier plans to dig in deep on you can build your platform from the ground up or from where you are right now. Questions will be answered from callers as well throughout the show. Call in during the live broadcast at 714-242-5259. Learn more about the host at http://vsgrenier.com For more information about our shows visit http://michiganavenuemed...