Skip to main content

Thoughts from the Director: 2015 St. George Book Festival

When I began as the Director of the St. George Book Festival three years ago, I had a dream of what it could become. I wanted the book festival to be more than just coming to hear an author talk about their latest book. I wanted it to be a family, reader of all ages and community event. But even though I had this vision of what could be, making it happen was another matter.


A lot of people pat me on the back for a job well done, but in all honesty, I couldn't have done it without my committee: Dave Smith, Darren Edwards, Dawn McLain, Lenore Madden, Lin Floyd, Bonnie Anderson, James Duckett and Ami Comeford. Or without our partners and supporters: Joel Tucker and Alan Anderson at the Washington County Library System, Pam Graf and the Spooky Town Fair committee, Mary Nell Lundquest and her team at the St. George Children's Museum, Jon Braaten at Abby Inn, Donna MacBean, and David Rowland at Comics Plus.

It's been a long road and this year was filled with growing pains and uphill battles. I didn't do it alone and nor would I want to. Everyone I worked with is the backbone of the St. George Book Festival and our community is lucky to have them. They are the group that supports my big dreams and help make it possible.

They are the ones who put up with my crazy ideas such as let's decorate the Literacy Charity Dinner ourselves this year. Or how about have anywhere from 2 to 3 events happening each day of a week long book festival.

They helped find and suggest some of the best speakers we've had. They came to every event and didn't complain, but just asked, "What can I do to help?"

This is what the committee, supporters and partners of the St. George Book Festival are able to do and I'm thankful they can so I can keep dreaming of what the book festival can be while they make that dream reality.

Here are the people who really deserve a pat on the back for a job well done:
Jessica Elgin, Spooky Town Fair Committee Member

Darren Edwards, SGBF Vice Co-Chairman

Janice Brooks, Speaker at SGBF Kick-off

Lin Floyd, SGBF Youth Poetry Contest Coordinator

James Duckett, Technology/Social Media Coordinator

Bonnie Anderson, SGBF Treasurer and Lenore Madden, SGBF WCSD Coordinator

Ami Comeford, SGBF DSU Coordinator & Utah Humanities Boardmember

Jack Rolf, Speaker at Kick-off

Brad Wilcox, Keynote Speaker at Kick-off

Justin Osmond, Speaker at Humanities Night

Jonathan Diaz, Speaker at Humanities Night

Dawn McLain, SGBF Sponsorship/Media Coordinator

Dave Smith, SGBF Vice Co-Chairman

Pam Graf, WCSDF and Spooky Town Fair Director

And so many others...

Thank you everyone for making 2015 one of the best year's ever this October!


Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...

Interview Friday with Mikey Brooks, author & Illustrator

VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. How long have you been writing? Mikey: I started writing when I was about 14 year old. I lived in a rural town in Missouri and our nearest neighbor was about a mile away. So friends were hard to come by. I fell in love with stories like Narnia and the Wizard of Oz and wished I could escape to these worlds. I had a hid out in the woods that surrounded our farm and I wrote about a world that existed in the reflection of a pond. I have a lot of fond memories about those woods. VS: What inspired you to write your books? Mikey: My children are the inspiration behind a lot of my stories now. Bean’s Dragons is based on my daughter and her imaginary dragons she has flying, parading, and trashing throughout the house. She was kind enough to let me glimpse into her world for just a moment to capture the magic within. My girls also love ABC books and shows. Because I love fantastical creatures, I wa...