Skip to main content

When you aren't sure where to start writing, simply write where you are

Write Where You Are

I caught the writing bug when I was ten, when I joined an essay writing contest. The topic was: "Where did you spend summer and what did you do?"

I wrote about the summer I spent with my grandparents. I described how grandpa taught me to climb trees, and how soon after that, I discovered how scary it was to climb down from a branch ten feet above the ground. I described how my grandma brewed strong coffee, and how the aroma drifted and lingered throughout their little hut every morning. I described the long walks and spontaneous swims in the rivers I took with my aunts and uncles.

It was a simple topic, but it had a tremendous impact on my life. I knew writing was what I wanted to do.

And now, nearly 20 years later, I can still hear grandpa's laughter, still smell grandma's coffee, still shiver at the memory of how cold those rivers were. Their little hut is forever etched in my memory.
I grew up; now I'm a writer. And whenever I'm stuck and ideas seem to run out, I remember that summer. My grandparents may be gone but they left me with memories from which I can draw inspiration. They left me a place I can go back to in my mind -- their home. In a way, they never really left.

And that's enough to make the words come out again. I re-discover the wonder of writing each time I remember where I was the summer before I turned ten.

If you feel yourself running out of words to write, try writing where you are. Stop thinking, worrying, doubting. Simply lean back, close your eyes and take yourself back to that one place that gives you peace. Then for 3-5 minutes, simply write about that place, and how it makes you feel.

Here are 5 prompts to get you started:

1. Where do you go when you want to get away from the pressures of life, family, work, etc? 2. In 150 words, describe the place where you are right now.
3. Where were you last summer/winter?
4. Which room in your house do you spend most of your time?
5. In 400 words, create your ideal place.

Copyright © Shery Ma Belle Arrieta-Russ
About Shery: Shery is the creator of WriteSparks!™- a software that generates over 10 *million* Story Sparkers for Writers. Download WriteSparks!™ Lite for free at http://writesparks.com

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Interview Friday with Mikey Brooks, author & Illustrator

VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. How long have you been writing? Mikey: I started writing when I was about 14 year old. I lived in a rural town in Missouri and our nearest neighbor was about a mile away. So friends were hard to come by. I fell in love with stories like Narnia and the Wizard of Oz and wished I could escape to these worlds. I had a hid out in the woods that surrounded our farm and I wrote about a world that existed in the reflection of a pond. I have a lot of fond memories about those woods. VS: What inspired you to write your books? Mikey: My children are the inspiration behind a lot of my stories now. Bean’s Dragons is based on my daughter and her imaginary dragons she has flying, parading, and trashing throughout the house. She was kind enough to let me glimpse into her world for just a moment to capture the magic within. My girls also love ABC books and shows. Because I love fantastical creatures, I wa...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...