Skip to main content

The Back Story of "No Justice"


 
What's the back story on the big story for "No Justice"?
 by Darcia Helle
 
Some time ago, I served on a jury for the murder trial of a man accused of raping and murdering his girlfriend. While I had known that our justice system had flaws, this was a close-up view of those injustices behind our justice system. We, the jury, were not allowed to hear anything about the plaintiff’s past. His life was a locked box. The victim, however, had no such privacy. The defense attorney gleefully flaunted the victim’s past, including her sexual history from as far back as her teen years. I will never forget the look of anguish on her parents’ faces.

The defense did a great job of spinning the tale and making the victim out to be less than virtuous. After a week of this, when we were sent to deliberate, only two of the 12 jurors initially voted for murder one. I was one of them. The other 10 wanted involuntary manslaughter, citing her behavior and his cocaine use as “excuses”. I should mention here that the man had left his dead girlfriend in his bed, while he went out and partied with friends all night. Also, according to witnesses, he was quite sober at the time of the murder.

The other juror and I fought for, and eventually won, a murder one conviction. Before we left the courthouse, the judge spoke to us privately. She congratulated and thanked us for the conviction. At that time, she was now able to tell us what had been carefully kept from us throughout the trial; the man we’d just convicted had a long history of abusing women. He’d already been convicted of several assaults and one rape. An involuntary manslaughter charge would have been little more than a slap on the wrist. He’d have been out in no time, free to rape and murder yet another woman.

My husband and I were discussing this one-day; that case specifically and the justice system in general. That’s when the character Michael Sykora was born. In many ways, Sykora is my husband’s alter ego. (But, to be clear, my husband does not moonlight as a hit man!) 

As for the specific plot, that developed from a combination of the characters’ voices and the conversation with my husband. I don’t write from an outline. I start with a character and a vague idea. Then I listen and follow where that leads me. About midway through writing No Justice, I realized that I had way too many plots and subplots going on. At that point, I knew that Michael Sykora needed to be a series. He wasn’t happy with one book. I stripped down that initial manuscript and told the story of where I thought the series needed to begin. 


No Justice Blurb:  
How far would you go to right a wrong? 

For Michael Sykora, killing started as blind rage. Then it became something he's 
good at. To most of those who know him, Michael is a software designer, a smart 
but average guy with a workaholic nature. To a chosen few, Michael is a part-time 
hit man whose specialty is eliminating hard-core criminals. 

Michael has managed to keep his two personas separate. Until now. When Nicki, a 
close friend, gets into trouble, Michael steps in to help. Having lost his fiance 
to a brutal crime, Michael will do whatever necessary to keep from losing another 
in his life. 

At one time or another, don't we all wish we could do the things our Justice 
system cannot or will not? What would it take to push you over the edge?
 
 
About the author:
Darcía Helle says she writes because, "My head gets cluttered with characters that 
demand their story be written."

A suspense author, she has written 6 novels: Enemies and Playmates, Hit List, No 
Justice, Beyond Salvation, Miami Snow and The Cutting Edge.

Darcía grew up in Massachusetts but has lived in the Tampa Bay area of Florida 
since 2002. She is married and has two sons. An animal lover, Darcía has two very 
spoiled dogs and two equally spoiled cats. 
 
 
To learn more about or to follow Darica Helle visit her sites below:

My Website: 
http://www.DarciaHelle.com or http://www.QuietFuryBooks.com

My Blog:
http://www.QuietFuryBooks.com/blog

Twitter:
http://www.Twitter.com/darciahelle

Facebook:
http://www.Facebook.com/darcia.helle
 
My Amazon Author Page:
http://www.amazon.com/Darcia-Helle/e/B002LTMF7O/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
 
My Smashwords Page:
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/DarciaHelle 

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...