Skip to main content

If Your Brain Was Up for Auction

I can't say anyone would want my brain currently if it was up for auction. I've been so busy with SFC and edits for Halo that I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in the mud. I know I've made head way on my To-Do list, but it doesn't look like it when the long list is staring me in the face weekly, daily and hourly. However, the light is starting to appear at the end of my tunnel and I'll be back to posting what thoughts along with the other wonderful guest authors here and featured interviews. And with that said here is fun writing prompt post to get those gears a turning.


If Your Brain Was Up for Auction
By: Shery Ma Belle Arrieta-Russ
This writing activity was inspired by Dido's song, Life for Rent. The song's 
chorus goes:
 
    If my life is for rent and I don't learn to buy 
    Well I deserve nothing more than I get 
    'Cause nothing that I have is truly mine 
 
[ Complete lyrics at http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/dido/lifeforrent.html ]
 
*If the link above doesn't work, try going to Google and searching for "life for 
rent dido lyrics" (without the quotes). You'll find plenty of sites that have the 
lyrics.
 

Read the chorus a few more times before continuing with this article. It'll get 
you in the mood :o)
 
One...
Two...
Three...
 
Done? Let's forge on.
 
It's pretty straightforward imagery -- Life is likened to a commodity, one that's 
for rent, and that premise (or metaphor) is supported by the last line: thus, 
saying that if one's life is for rent (and one doesn't learn how to buy things), 
then nothing he (she) has is really his (hers). 
 
When we break it down, it's cause and effect, or an if...then relationship. One 
thing causes something to happen. Or this is the reason that thing happened. If 
you do this, then that is the result. You get the drift :o)
 
Now, here's what you're going to do. You'll play the "if-then" game. 
The resulting "if-then" fragments will be the basis of your creative pieces today. 
You can take them anywhere you want them to go. Consider this simple writing 
activity the sparkplug that inspired the lift-off, the conductor's baton that got 
the orchestra playing, the little grenade pin that slipped... Ok, I'm sure you get 
the drift ;o)
 
 
First, pick a number between 1 and 10:
 
1. eyes
2. vocal chord
3. brain
4. thumbs
5. skin
6. toenails
7. heart
8. lungs
9. legs
10. ears
 
Got a number picked? Good! Now, apply any or all of these to the body part 
that you picked:
 
- lease, auction, bargain/sale, barter, evaluation, adoption
 
You'll come up with something like these:
 
- If my brain was up for adoption...
- If my brain was up for auction...
- If I were to barter my brain...
- If I were to lease my brain...
- If anyone could get my brain at bargain price...
 
Next, add the second part -- the "then". What happens? To you? To the body part? 
To Donald Trump? To life on earth? Come up with not just one reason; come up with 
many! Preposterous reasons, serious reasons, wacky reasons, out-of-this-world 
reasons.
 
If your brain was up for auction, 
 
- What would happen to you?
- What would happen to the person who'll own it?
- What would happen to the people who may or may not value
    the things (memories) in your brain?
- What would happen to your memories? 
- What would happen if none of the bidders met your
    minimum price or reserve?
 
Too weird for you? OK, then give this one a go. Pick a number from 1 to 10:
 
1. loyalty
2. honesty
3. summer
4. weekends
5. name
6. ambition
7. career
8. love
9. job
10. bachelorhood
 
Again, apply any or all of these to whatever you picked:
 
- lease, auction, bargain/sale, barter, evaluation, adoption
 
And you'll come up with:
 
- If my loyalty was up for sale...
- If I were to barter my loyalty...
- If my loyalty is up for evaluation...
- If I were to have my loyalty adopted...
- If I could lease my loyalty...
- If my loyalty was up for auction...
 
You know what to do next ;o)
 
That's it. Have fun auctioning off those body parts! :o)
 
 
Copyright (c) 2004 Shery Ma Belle Arrieta-Russ
 

Shery created WriteSparks! - a software that generates over 10
*million* Story Sparkers for Writers. Download WriteSparks! Lite
for free - http://writesparks.com

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Blog Talk Radio Show October 7th with Guest Author Donna McDine

Join host Virginia S Grenier and her guests on Mondays at 4pm eastern for the Featured World of Ink Network show The Writing Mama! This week (Monday October 7th) our guest is Award-winning Children's Author Donna McDine. They will be talking about McDine's two latest releases "Powder Monkey" and "Hockey Agony", both published by Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. a small indie publisher of eBooks and print books for young readers. Donna McDine is an award-winning children’s author, Honorable Mention in the 77 and two Honorable Mentions in the 78 Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions, Literary Classics Silver Award & Seal of Approval Recipient Picture Book Early Reader, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention, Global eBook Awards Finalist Children’s Picture Book fiction, and Preditor & Editors Readers Poll 2010 Top Ten Children’s Book ~ The Golden Pathway . Her stories, articles and book reviews have...

Guest Post Wed: Inspiration of Writing a Book

Inspiration for writing Gabriela and The Widow by Jack Remick In one way or another, fiction is autobiographical but the story doesn’t have to be, as they blare out on TV, “based on a true story.” It’s the other way around—the novel, the fiction becomes part of the author’s autobiography. The novel is an expression of being. The author puts a writer into every story and that writer is the narrator. For Gabriela and the Widow, the autobiographical stimulus, call it the impulse to write, came when I visited my mother to celebrate her 92 nd birthday. For the last few years, my mother’s caregiver has been Gabriela. I watched as Gabriela fed her, dressed her, bathed her, combed her hair and put her to bed. But for Gabriela, this wasn’t just a job. She had a connection to my mother that was true, real, and honest. She didn’t change her behavior for my visits. She didn’t coo and perform, so I knew that what I saw was the real Gabriela and the real Mother. And there was somet...