Skip to main content

Guest Post Wed: Write What You Know!

Write What You Know! 

with Mary Cunningham


The dream takes place in a mysterious attic. At times the attic is exciting and mysterious, but many times it is dark and foreboding.

I'd just finished telling my best friend, Diana, about the recurring dream I'd had for almost 20 years, when I had a "light-bulb" moment. It occurred to me that the dream took place in the attic of my childhood friend, Cynthia. "Hmmm…" Diana pondered, "Cynthia's Attic. What a great title!" That's when the dreams stopped and the writing began.

I sat in my New Jersey home wanting desperately to write about the dream and to recall the fond memories of playing in Cynthia's attic as a child. I should write a memoir! No…a picture book…maybe a song! (That didn't work!) Nothing seemed to strike me, so I let go and just started writing. A four-page memoir eventually turned into a 33,000-word young reader novel, and took more than three years to write. Another two years would pass before the book was published, and the final edit submitted.

I believe the greatest obstacle I had to overcome was reminding myself that it was permissible, even preferable, to write "outside the box." The only limits would be my imagination (or lack thereof). Whenever I felt myself getting stale, I'd open Harry Potter. If there's one thing I learned from J.K. Rowling's writing, it's that anything can happen in fantasy fiction. If you can write it…it can happen.

So many authors force themselves to write a specific number of hours a day. Write! Write! Write! Even if it's no good, or doesn't make sense. Eventually, I'll write something that's good and makes sense to somebody…somewhere. This method may work for them, but it's useless to me. If I sit for more than ten minutes struggling with word after word, I get up and do something more constructive.

The best advice, however, is write what you know. I picked up this little tidbit early on and have never forgotten it; evidenced by my 5-book series, Cynthia's Attic, set in my hometown using ancestors as story characters. I get great feedback from elementary school students and teachers after my Power Point "Ideas" presentation that highlights family pictures and settings.

My wish is to inspire the young and old to write! And, if you need further inspiration, keep in mind that I didn't write my first book until I was 50!

Cynthia's Attic: Legend of Lupin Woods (Book 5) 

Cynthia and Gus have solved a lot of mysteries across time, but something is seriously wrong and things are beginning to unravel. Aunt Belle is missing…again! Cynthia’s great-grandfather, Beau, was never found! And now they are wondering if Blackie is still making life miserable for Lilly and Annie. This time, the twelve-year-old girls journey into a strange woods full of frightening creatures and dark secrets in search of answers. From Aunt Belle's cottage to a small village in France, they meet new friends and discover a connection to New Orleans that may lead to the devious source behind these alarming developments. Or bigger trouble.

Mary Cunningham Bio: Like Cynthia and Gus, my childhood best friend, Cynthia and I grew up in a small, Southern Indiana town…the setting for the series. Not one summer day passed that we weren’t playing softball, hide and seek, badminton, or croquet with friends in the vacant lot behind Becky’s house. In my attempt to grow up, I joined The Georgia Reading Association, and the Carrollton Creative Writers Club. When giving my fingers a day away from the keyboard, I enjoy golf, swimming and exploring the mountains of West Georgia where I live with my husband and adopted furry, four-legged daughter, Lucy.

Together we’ve raised three creative children and are thrilled with our 2 granddaughters. At last count, I’ve moved 9 times to six different states (all after the age of 36), and aside from the packing and unpacking, it’s been a great experience, having made some very dear and lasting friendships. My non-writing time is spent showing power point presentations on gathering ideas and the writing process to schools and libraries.

Mary Cunningham Books http://www.marycunninghambooks.com 
Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Cunningham/e/B002BLNEK4/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Cunningham/e/B002BLNEK4/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Smashwords Ebooks
B & N Book Nook http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/cynthia-s-Attic-Mary-Cunningham?store=ALLPRODUCTS&keyword=cynthia%27s+Attic+Mary+Cunningham OmniLit http://www.omnilit.com/storeSearch.html?searchBy=author&qString=Mary+Cunningham

video: Cynthia’s Attic Series for 'Tweens

Want to follow Mary Cunningham's virtual tour. Here is the schedule http://cynthiasattic.blogspot.com/2012/05/cynthias-attic-legend-of-lupin-woods.html

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...

PODCAST: Creating an Author Platform

Come join VS Grenier and Marsha Casper Cook at 9 am Pacific - 10 am Mountain - 11 am Central - 12 pm Eastern LIVE on July 24th! The topic is Creating Your Author Platform. Why is this important, and what is a platform anyway? It is your visibility as an author, your life support. The wider your reach, the more readers you connect with, the more books you can sell. What you do with your platform speaks about you as an author (in an authentic way) as you try to reach your target audience. It's all about connecting with people -- on a real level. It's not about shouting, "Buy my books" all over the place. VS Grenier plans to dig in deep on you can build your platform from the ground up or from where you are right now. Questions will be answered from callers as well throughout the show. Call in during the live broadcast at 714-242-5259. Learn more about the host at http://vsgrenier.com For more information about our shows visit http://michiganavenuemed...