Skip to main content

First on BBN: Blogging Can Be a Challenge

 
There are many reasons why people choose to start blogging. My reason was simple…I wanted contact with liked minded people and those who could say more than a few words. Yes, I started blogging when I still had little ones in diapers at home like many mommy bloggers. However, I found that after a few weeks blogging was a bit more challenging with a baby in the house than writing a book or managing my online magazine for kids.

Unlike writing on assignment or even when a new idea pops into your head, blogging requires daily, weekly and even monthly postings. As a writer I thought, It won’t be hard to start a blog. Wrong! Hard it was as I found I didn’t have the weeks or months to fine-tune my blog posts. I had hours or days at most with a baby demanding my time and a preschooler turning my house into an juggle gym. Then there was the constant “what should I write about today or this week” muse nagging at my subconscious and even conscious level.

At first, I thought I would just use my blog as a daily live journal of sorts, however, after a typo here and there…my writing readers were not as forgiving. Okay, that didn’t work as I learned I needed to still put time and thought into what I journaled about. Next, I tired reviews. Well this seemed to work out okay, but finding time to read books or check out products become a bit time consuming in its own right. Off to another idea for the blog. I know…interviews. This was okay to a point, but finding people wasn’t always easy and how do you make each interview sound different from the one before it.

I was back at square one—looking at a beautiful baby face, playing games with my preschooler and wondering when my preteen or husband would be home, as I needed grown-up conversation. Then it hit me. Why not combine everything on one blog and ask for fellow bloggers and writers to guest post to help fill those daily, weekly and monthly posts. Bingo!

I have been blogging now for about three years and have three other blogs for various content as well now. Each day on my personal blog is set for a different topic such as Grammar Monday, Tip Tuesday, Guest Post Wed, Update Thurs. and Interview Friday.

I love blogging and commenting with others who like me have families, review books & products and write. I learn new things each time I visit one of their blogs or they share a bit about themselves with me at mine.

Yes, I still find it hard to find the time to sit and come up with blog ideas from time to time, but when that happens, I just reach out to my blogging community for a guest post, interview or feature. My blog may not have daily posts all the time, but weekly posts I seems to get up. My kids enjoy sharing ideas too to help me fill those infinite blogging pages that always seem to want more.

Original Post http://brandbuzznetwork.com/profiles/blogs/blogging-can-be-a-challenge
~~~~~~
Besides being a BBN Writer, VS Grenier is an award-winning children's author, founder & owner of Stories for Children Publishing, LLC., Partner of The World of Ink Network, award-winning editor-in-chief of Stories for Children Magazine and chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int; as well as the host of the blog talk radio shows Stories for Children, The Writing Mama, Families Matter and What is Success. A California girl at heart and former fashion buyer (for companies such as Brighton Collectibles, Frederick's of Hollywood, and Torrid/Hot Topic), Grenier lives in Southern Utah with her supportive husband, their three children and the family's miniature schnauzer Taz.

You can learn more about VS Grenier at her websites http://vsgrenier.com and http://worldofinknetwork.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VBT-Guest Author Spotlight Donna McDine

      Donna McDine is an award-winning children's author, Honorable Mention in the 77th and two Honorable Mentions in the 78 th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions. Her stories have been published in many print and online publications and her interest in American History resulted in writing and publishing The Golden Pathway. Donna has two more books under contract with Guardian Angel Publishing, The Hockey Agony and Powder Monkey . She writes, moms and is the Editor-in-Chief for Guardian Angel Kids and Publicist for the National Writing for Children Center from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI and Musing Our Children.                What excites you most about your book’s topic? Why did you choose it?       The Underground Railroad was a pivotal time in American history, one that should never be repeated. It is my hope by keeping history alive for each generation that these huge mistakes will never reoccur. Q.     How lon

Five Tips for a More Marketable Children’s Picture Book Manuscript by Mayra Calvani

The world of children’s picture book publishing is extremely competitive. If you’re an aspiring children’s author, you need to make sure your manuscript is in excellent shape and has all the elements editors and agents look for before you begin the submission process. Here are five tips to make your picture book manuscript more marketable: Start right with the problem.  Many times beginner writers begin a picture book with back-story. It’s okay to have this back-story in the first draft, but be sure to get rid of it when you edit. Back-story is unnecessary 90% of the time and it only serves to slow down the beginning of a story, making it weaker. You want to grab the reader right from the start. So don’t be afraid to begin your story at the heart of the problem. It’s okay to set the stage with a sentence or two—but no more! Have a protagonist readers can relate to. Generally, children like to listen to stories about other children or animals with children’s characteristics. They

Interview Friday with multi-talented author, Cheryl Malandrinos

Cheryl Malandrinos is a freelance writer and editor from Western Massachusetts . A regular contributor to Writer2Writer, her articles focus on increasing productivity through time management and organization. A founding member of Musing Our Children , Ms. Malandrinos is also the Editor-in-Chief of the group's quarterly newsletter, Pages & Pens . Cheryl is a Tour Coordinator for Pump Up Your Book Promotion , a book reviewer, and blogger. Guardian Angel Publishing will release her first children’s book, The Little Shepherd Boy, in 2010. VS: Cheryl, I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. I know being a parent and writer can be hard and I find myself asking if I am giving my three children enough attention throughout the day. I am sure you have been in my shoes from time to time. So to start here is the first question, how many children do you have and what are their ages? Cheryl: Thanks for having me at The Writing Mama, Virginia. I’m thril