Skip to main content

American Chronicle | Author Spotlight: Jo Linsdell of Out and About at the Zoo

Jo Linsdell picture book 'Out and About at the Zoo' is a rhyming picture book with colorful pictures showing children a fun day out discovering different things in the world around them. This first book in the ´Out and About´ series is a wonderful introduction to a day at the zoo for children young and old.

Linsdell, also the illustrator, has created pictures so adorable it makes you want to hug each animal in the book. Both the pictures and the text will entice a child's wonder and excitement during a day at the zoo.

Linsdell writes mostly about Italy, pregnancy and parenting, marketing (She LOVES social media) and the writing industry. She has some very successful blogs such as Writers and Authors were those who are new or experienced authors can pick up a tip or two.

Linsdell has enjoyed writing since she could hold a pen in her hand but officially started her writing career in 2006. Since then, Linsdell has worked for numerous clients around the world and won a few awards along the way too. She has also published several books including the popular 'Italian for Tourists' phrasebook. Linsdell won several awards for her blogs and was listed on the Literary World Who's Who in the writing industry in 2009.

Originally from the UK, Linsdell came to Rome, Italy for 3 days back in July 2001 and ended up staying. In 2006, she married a lovely Italian man named Maurizio and together they have two sons. Her family and Italian surrounds have been an inspiration to Linsdell from day one. "I've always loved to try new experiences and that's reflected both in my work experience and writing. I've done a bit of everything from credit controller to receptionist to shop assistant to tour guide. My work experience is as varied as the genres I write," shared Linsdell. "One of the first jobs I had when I moved to Rome was for a company that produced publications for the dental industry. A learnt a lot about formatting and other behind the scenes skills there. Later on, I had a job writing research articles for the Neurology department and there I picked up knowledge about researching, submitting queries and the submission process in general. It was after that job I started taking my writing seriously and had my first freelance article published. Soon after, I published my first book."

Linsdell's first book was 'Italian for Tourists,' an English-Italian phrasebook covering only the words and phrases tourists actually need during their visit to Italy. A book many travelers will find useful I'm sure. Her second book was 'A Guide to Weddings in Italy,' which she wrote following her own wedding in Italy in 2006. Another book many have found useful and even inspirational for weddings in other locations around the world. Linsdell also published several e-books including a collection of poetry.

Her latest book 'Out and About at the Zoo,' is a picture book for younger readers. "I wrote 'Out and About at the Zoo' for my four-year-old son after taking him to the zoo for the first time. Spending quality time together with my kids is one of the most important things to me and I love watching them discover the world. They are already growing up so fast and these first years are so special," shared Linsdell.

The book is a fun way to discover different animals and something about them but it also highlights the joy of quality family time together. Linsdell is also the illustrator of her recently release children's picture book. "With 'Out and About at the Zoo' the text just seemed to flow and didn't take me long at all. The illustrations were the hard part. I studied art and design in college and so drawing up the sketches was easy but making them digital and print quality was not. This was my first time using a graphics program and I had no idea about transparencies, layers and embedding. It was a real learning curve for me," shared Linsdell.

 See the spotlight at
American Chronicle | Author Spotlight: Jo Linsdell of Out and About at the Zoo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Friday with multi-talented author, Cheryl Malandrinos

Cheryl Malandrinos is a freelance writer and editor from Western Massachusetts . A regular contributor to Writer2Writer, her articles focus on increasing productivity through time management and organization. A founding member of Musing Our Children , Ms. Malandrinos is also the Editor-in-Chief of the group's quarterly newsletter, Pages & Pens . Cheryl is a Tour Coordinator for Pump Up Your Book Promotion , a book reviewer, and blogger. Guardian Angel Publishing will release her first children’s book, The Little Shepherd Boy, in 2010. VS: Cheryl, I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. I know being a parent and writer can be hard and I find myself asking if I am giving my three children enough attention throughout the day. I am sure you have been in my shoes from time to time. So to start here is the first question, how many children do you have and what are their ages? Cheryl: Thanks for having me at The Writing Mama, Virginia. I’m thril

Five Tips for a More Marketable Children’s Picture Book Manuscript by Mayra Calvani

The world of children’s picture book publishing is extremely competitive. If you’re an aspiring children’s author, you need to make sure your manuscript is in excellent shape and has all the elements editors and agents look for before you begin the submission process. Here are five tips to make your picture book manuscript more marketable: Start right with the problem.  Many times beginner writers begin a picture book with back-story. It’s okay to have this back-story in the first draft, but be sure to get rid of it when you edit. Back-story is unnecessary 90% of the time and it only serves to slow down the beginning of a story, making it weaker. You want to grab the reader right from the start. So don’t be afraid to begin your story at the heart of the problem. It’s okay to set the stage with a sentence or two—but no more! Have a protagonist readers can relate to. Generally, children like to listen to stories about other children or animals with children’s characteristics. They

VBT-Guest Author Spotlight Donna McDine

      Donna McDine is an award-winning children's author, Honorable Mention in the 77th and two Honorable Mentions in the 78 th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions. Her stories have been published in many print and online publications and her interest in American History resulted in writing and publishing The Golden Pathway. Donna has two more books under contract with Guardian Angel Publishing, The Hockey Agony and Powder Monkey . She writes, moms and is the Editor-in-Chief for Guardian Angel Kids and Publicist for the National Writing for Children Center from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI and Musing Our Children.                What excites you most about your book’s topic? Why did you choose it?       The Underground Railroad was a pivotal time in American history, one that should never be repeated. It is my hope by keeping history alive for each generation that these huge mistakes will never reoccur. Q.     How lon