Skip to main content

American Chronicle | Author Spotlight: Jo Linsdell of Out and About at the Zoo

Jo Linsdell picture book 'Out and About at the Zoo' is a rhyming picture book with colorful pictures showing children a fun day out discovering different things in the world around them. This first book in the ´Out and About´ series is a wonderful introduction to a day at the zoo for children young and old.

Linsdell, also the illustrator, has created pictures so adorable it makes you want to hug each animal in the book. Both the pictures and the text will entice a child's wonder and excitement during a day at the zoo.

Linsdell writes mostly about Italy, pregnancy and parenting, marketing (She LOVES social media) and the writing industry. She has some very successful blogs such as Writers and Authors were those who are new or experienced authors can pick up a tip or two.

Linsdell has enjoyed writing since she could hold a pen in her hand but officially started her writing career in 2006. Since then, Linsdell has worked for numerous clients around the world and won a few awards along the way too. She has also published several books including the popular 'Italian for Tourists' phrasebook. Linsdell won several awards for her blogs and was listed on the Literary World Who's Who in the writing industry in 2009.

Originally from the UK, Linsdell came to Rome, Italy for 3 days back in July 2001 and ended up staying. In 2006, she married a lovely Italian man named Maurizio and together they have two sons. Her family and Italian surrounds have been an inspiration to Linsdell from day one. "I've always loved to try new experiences and that's reflected both in my work experience and writing. I've done a bit of everything from credit controller to receptionist to shop assistant to tour guide. My work experience is as varied as the genres I write," shared Linsdell. "One of the first jobs I had when I moved to Rome was for a company that produced publications for the dental industry. A learnt a lot about formatting and other behind the scenes skills there. Later on, I had a job writing research articles for the Neurology department and there I picked up knowledge about researching, submitting queries and the submission process in general. It was after that job I started taking my writing seriously and had my first freelance article published. Soon after, I published my first book."

Linsdell's first book was 'Italian for Tourists,' an English-Italian phrasebook covering only the words and phrases tourists actually need during their visit to Italy. A book many travelers will find useful I'm sure. Her second book was 'A Guide to Weddings in Italy,' which she wrote following her own wedding in Italy in 2006. Another book many have found useful and even inspirational for weddings in other locations around the world. Linsdell also published several e-books including a collection of poetry.

Her latest book 'Out and About at the Zoo,' is a picture book for younger readers. "I wrote 'Out and About at the Zoo' for my four-year-old son after taking him to the zoo for the first time. Spending quality time together with my kids is one of the most important things to me and I love watching them discover the world. They are already growing up so fast and these first years are so special," shared Linsdell.

The book is a fun way to discover different animals and something about them but it also highlights the joy of quality family time together. Linsdell is also the illustrator of her recently release children's picture book. "With 'Out and About at the Zoo' the text just seemed to flow and didn't take me long at all. The illustrations were the hard part. I studied art and design in college and so drawing up the sketches was easy but making them digital and print quality was not. This was my first time using a graphics program and I had no idea about transparencies, layers and embedding. It was a real learning curve for me," shared Linsdell.

 See the spotlight at
American Chronicle | Author Spotlight: Jo Linsdell of Out and About at the Zoo

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Guest Post Wed: Creating Unique Characters

Too many characters in novels are too much alike. As a result, the stories and the characters' actions (and reactions) become predictable. You'd already know what would happen only a few chapters in the story! This is what you want to avoid when you're writing your own story – having characters that are too much like the other characters. There are way you can create characters that are different enough from each other that your readers won't get bored. Here are a few tips on how to do just that...

Guest Post Wed: Inspiration of Writing a Book

Inspiration for writing Gabriela and The Widow by Jack Remick In one way or another, fiction is autobiographical but the story doesn’t have to be, as they blare out on TV, “based on a true story.” It’s the other way around—the novel, the fiction becomes part of the author’s autobiography. The novel is an expression of being. The author puts a writer into every story and that writer is the narrator. For Gabriela and the Widow, the autobiographical stimulus, call it the impulse to write, came when I visited my mother to celebrate her 92 nd birthday. For the last few years, my mother’s caregiver has been Gabriela. I watched as Gabriela fed her, dressed her, bathed her, combed her hair and put her to bed. But for Gabriela, this wasn’t just a job. She had a connection to my mother that was true, real, and honest. She didn’t change her behavior for my visits. She didn’t coo and perform, so I knew that what I saw was the real Gabriela and the real Mother. And there was somet...