Skip to main content

November 2012: The Next BIG Thing Blog Hop



“From Twilight to 50 Shades of Grey, the past few years have been full of high profile reads. Love um or hate um, you have to admit you have at least heard of them. 

As Independent Authors we all dare to dream we will be next, and well let’s face it, you never know...right?

With that thought I jumped on this Hop which is basically an Independent Authors game of tag. One Author posts, and then tags five other Authors, who each link back to them, and you my fair reader have hopefully just increased your to read list. Finding New and Exciting Authors you may never have found otherwise. 

Some of us are still writing, others are just being released, while others have many books published. Either way, for you Book Lovers, a treasure trove awaits and I’d like to thank fellow Author Lin Floyd for tagging me to participate.”


Click the links to find out about Lin Floyd’s books.

My Family History Website http://famhistory1867.com/   

“In this particular hop I and my fellow Authors each in their perspective Blogs have answered 10 questions where you get to learn about our current WIP (Works in Progress) as well as some goodies as to our process, from characters and inspirations to photographic/Cinematic eye candy! I hope you enjoy it!!

If this or any other items pique your interest, please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and questions.”


HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS I'VE BEEN ASKED
1: What is the working title of your book?
A: I have a few working titles currently. I'm working on a second book for the SugarPaw picture book series, a young adult novel series "Behind a Friendly Mask" (each book will have a name for its title), I have another young adult book "The Journal" and lastly, I have a romance book brewing in my head that I haven't given a working title to as of yet.
2: Where did the idea come from for the book?
A: That's a loaded question for sure. Well my published book "BABYSITTING SURGARPAW" came from a picture of little bears making a mess in a bathroom. The second book in the series stems from an actually childhood memory. I don't want to share too much about it until the book is published as the childhood memory would give the story away. My two young adult books come from a few different places. They both have bit and pieces from my high school memories in them and even some of the people from my life are embedded in characters in both books. Both books even have characters who are me as a teenager. I'm just not going to tell which characters they are. You'll have to wait when they get published to find out.

The romance novel still budding in my muse will also have hints of my life in it. I'm not sure if my early twenties self will make an appearance or not yet. Still fleshing out the details so time will tell on that one. But the places in the story are from my past.
3: What genre does your book fall under?
A: All my books fall under children's or young adult, except my romance novel. This will be the first book I've written not for children or teens.

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
A: That's a tough one as many of the actors/actress I love and feel are very talented are too old for my main characters. Sorry guys...it's the truth. I really don't think many of the younger actors/actress are even half as talented. Of course, there could always be that new undiscovered talent I don't know about yet for my young adult books. I guess what makes those so hard is the characters are mirrored after real life people from my life so finding someone who could even come close would be tricky, and making sure they looked like them even harder.

I don't think Hollywood would have a hard time with the romance novel though if it ever became a movie. There is a huge list of actors/actresses I could see playing many of the roles.
5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
A: Sorry, not ready to share those with you yet. I'm still fleshing the books out and well want to make sure they are going into publication before I give too much away.
6: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
A: That's hard to say. I know the second book for the SugarPaw picture book series will be through Halo Publishing. I'm not sure about my other books though. I don't mind self publishing, but I would like to see if a traditional publisher is interested, too.
 
7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
A: Too long and some are still in first draft. With younger kids at home, it is hard to find writing time. Plus, I do a lot to help other authors with their marketing efforts, so my writing gets put on the back burner a lot. Usually, it takes me six months to a year to write a complete first draft. Lately, it has been taking longer than that because I get only a few minutes here and there. Other days, I don't even get that.
 
8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
A: The SugarPaw picture book series I think is its own type of book. I use a lot of dialogue unlike more picture or picture story books. The first book is a Mom's Choice Silver Winner and 2011 Silver Quill League of Utah Winner for children's fiction.

My young adult book "The Journal" is a contemporary fantasy. My other young adult book series "Behind a Friendly Mask" is a contemporary paranormal novel. 

The romance novel still budding in my must is still waiting to find out what genre in romance it will be placed into as the story is still unfolding.
 
9: Who or What inspired you to write this book?
A: Boredom was my inspiration to find something to do after years of working in the fashion industry. My children were my inspiration to focus  on writing for children and teens. The Institute of Children's Lit was the inspiration to seek publication and Carolyn Howard-Johnson was the motivation to go beyond just publication and to take my marketing background and grow into editing and PR for authors.
 
10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
A: I think the biggest thing about my books that piques the reader's interest is the fact that all my books are parts of my past and me hidden within the pages. I just my personal experience as the main outline for all my books and people I know for character outlines. 

I love have hidden pieces of me, my family and friends (past or present) within my stories, and when readers find this out...they like trying to figure out who is me, who isn't but someone I know and also what places or scene are straight out of my personal life story.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VBT-Guest Author Spotlight Donna McDine

      Donna McDine is an award-winning children's author, Honorable Mention in the 77th and two Honorable Mentions in the 78 th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competitions. Her stories have been published in many print and online publications and her interest in American History resulted in writing and publishing The Golden Pathway. Donna has two more books under contract with Guardian Angel Publishing, The Hockey Agony and Powder Monkey . She writes, moms and is the Editor-in-Chief for Guardian Angel Kids and Publicist for the National Writing for Children Center from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI and Musing Our Children.                What excites you most about your book’s topic? Why did you choose it?       The Underground Railroad was a pivotal time in American history, one that should never be repeated. It is my hope by keeping history alive for each generation that these huge mistakes will never reoccur. Q.     How lon

Five Tips for a More Marketable Children’s Picture Book Manuscript by Mayra Calvani

The world of children’s picture book publishing is extremely competitive. If you’re an aspiring children’s author, you need to make sure your manuscript is in excellent shape and has all the elements editors and agents look for before you begin the submission process. Here are five tips to make your picture book manuscript more marketable: Start right with the problem.  Many times beginner writers begin a picture book with back-story. It’s okay to have this back-story in the first draft, but be sure to get rid of it when you edit. Back-story is unnecessary 90% of the time and it only serves to slow down the beginning of a story, making it weaker. You want to grab the reader right from the start. So don’t be afraid to begin your story at the heart of the problem. It’s okay to set the stage with a sentence or two—but no more! Have a protagonist readers can relate to. Generally, children like to listen to stories about other children or animals with children’s characteristics. They

Interview Friday with multi-talented author, Cheryl Malandrinos

Cheryl Malandrinos is a freelance writer and editor from Western Massachusetts . A regular contributor to Writer2Writer, her articles focus on increasing productivity through time management and organization. A founding member of Musing Our Children , Ms. Malandrinos is also the Editor-in-Chief of the group's quarterly newsletter, Pages & Pens . Cheryl is a Tour Coordinator for Pump Up Your Book Promotion , a book reviewer, and blogger. Guardian Angel Publishing will release her first children’s book, The Little Shepherd Boy, in 2010. VS: Cheryl, I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. I know being a parent and writer can be hard and I find myself asking if I am giving my three children enough attention throughout the day. I am sure you have been in my shoes from time to time. So to start here is the first question, how many children do you have and what are their ages? Cheryl: Thanks for having me at The Writing Mama, Virginia. I’m thril