Skip to main content

Interview Friday with Illustrator Jessica Love from the Night Buddies series

Jessica Love grew up in California, with two artist parents. She studied printmaking and drawing at UC Santa Cruz, then went to study acting at The Juilliard School in NYC.

Jessica currently resides in Brooklyn, New York, toggling back and forth between her work as an actor and her work as an artist.



VS: Jessica, I want to thank you for taking the time to be interviewed on my blog today. How long have you been illustrating?

Love: I've been doing it since I was a kid. The way that I have drawn has always been story-based. That was what drew me in, stories about people, the way you could tell a story through images. So when I was little I would narrate the story out loud as a drew, and I suppose that's still what I do.

VS: Is your family supportive of your work?

Love: Very. My parents are both artists (my mom is a basket weaver and my dad is a potter), and so I grew up believing it was a totally normal job to have.

VS: Was Night Buddies your first publication?

Love: This is my first full length children's book to have published. When I was at Juilliard I would do cartoons for the Juilliard Journal, but this is really the first thing I've had published.

VS: Can you share with us a little about your favorite scenes in the second Night Buddies book?

Love: I loved the character of Fast Fanny, and when I read the scene where she first appears, in the Blimp Emporium, I thought that was fantastic. I love that she's this tough talking broad, sort of a Girl Friday type, and so it was really easy to imagine what she ought to look like just from the way she talks.

VS: What did you find to be the most challenging part of illustrating the Night Buddies series?

Love: Collaborating with a writer can be challenging, but Sands has very specific ideas of how he wants things to look. Sometimes the way we imagined a scene was totally different, and it was hard at times to throw out something I was quite fond of to try to get closer to what he wanted. But that is part of the process.

VS: Do you have any other works in progress? Can you share a little about them?

Love: I am currently working on a children's book that I'm both writing and illustrating. I hope to have it completed by Summer. It's about a six year old Dominican kid who lives with his Grandma in Queen. I don't want to give too much away, but the book is about celebrating uniqueness, even when at first, that uniqueness comes in a challenging form.

VS: What do you think are the basic ingredients of a good book?

Love: I think the great children's books all have this curious combination of feeling extremely familiar; tapping into some deep and recognizable experience; and also creating the sense of strangeness and wonder that is intrinsic to all childhood experiences. That is what made Maurice Sendak so great. He never lost that sense of terrible wonder, and that's why his books were never saccharine, or simple. Because that's not actually the way children experience the world. That's the what adults project onto kids. But I remember childhood being much more complex than that. I believe children have the same range of emotions that adults do, but because they don't have the range of experience that allows for easy filing, those feelings strike them more vividly.

VS: What is required for a character to be believable?

Love: It has to be three dimensional. The books that stick with us have characters that are not just one thing; they have layers. Kids are absolute geniuses for detecting phoniness and pandering, and they get bored with it immediately. For a character to be engaging, they must be true.

VS: Where can the readers of The Writing Mama find out more about you and the Night Buddies series?

Love: I have a website, JessicaLove.Org, where I post about various projects I'm working on. I'd love to see you there.


You can find out more about Sands Hetherington, Jessica Love and the Night Buddies series World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/bysdkbv

Follow the Night Buddies at
Facebook Fan Page: www.facebook.com/nightbuddies
Twitter: @Night_Buddies

Publisher Website: www.dunebuggypress.com

To learn more about the World of Ink Tours visit http://worldofinknetwork.com  
 

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...

Guest Post Wed: Creating Unique Characters

Too many characters in novels are too much alike. As a result, the stories and the characters' actions (and reactions) become predictable. You'd already know what would happen only a few chapters in the story! This is what you want to avoid when you're writing your own story – having characters that are too much like the other characters. There are way you can create characters that are different enough from each other that your readers won't get bored. Here are a few tips on how to do just that...