Skip to main content

Top 5% Most Viewed LinkedIn Profiles

I woke this morning to begin my daily routine to find some exciting (or interesting news) in my email. Now, I have a lot of writers and published authors who have asked me at conferences, on blog talk radio shows or in passing conversations if I feel certain social media outlets are really worth the time and effort. One such social platform is LinkedIn.

To be honest, I never really had an opinion about LinkedIn. What I mean is I don't pay for advance services or options for my profile account. I have the basic free account, I'm in a few groups (who send me digest updates of discussions) and I get "Connect" requests. My profile is basic and does give a nice quick snapshot on all I do and have done. I don't promote my LinkedIn profile at all. In fact, I think it is my least maintained social media platform I have.

So you can imagine my surprise when I saw an email from LinkedIn saying my profile is one the Top 5% Most Viewed LinkedIn Profiles. Really? But it doesn't stop there...nope I even was sent a form letter. See below.
Hi Virginia S,
Recently, LinkedIn reached a new milestone: 200 million members. But this isn't just our achievement to celebrate — it's also yours.
I want to personally thank you for being part of our community. Your journey is part of our journey, and we're delighted and humbled when we hear stories of how our members are using LinkedIn to connect, learn, and find opportunity.
All of us come to work each day focused on our shared mission of connecting the world's professionals to make them more productive and successful. We're excited to show you what's next.
With sincere thanks,
Deep Nishar
Senior Vice President, Products & User Experience

What does this all mean? Well it means you should use all and every means to build your social platform as a freelance writer and published author. It means you don't have to spend most your day maintaining your social network profiles, but you do need to post stuff twice a month to once a week if you want exposure. You don't have to post about you, your work or books. I post at all my social media sites daily, but 1 to 5 percent is about me...the rest is about others in the industry. By sharing your passions, what is happening in your industry/genre, interesting tidbits, etc. you grow a following.

Yes, it is great to have fans and followers, but they don't want to hear you talking about yourself all the time. They want to know what you are passionate about, what hobbies you have and interests. I'm glad my LinkedIn friends and followers have enjoyed checking out my profile feed on what I'm up to...or actually sharing what I find interesting.

Thank you LinkedIn your support and THANK YOU to all who follow me on my various social platforms. I hope to bring you more interesting tidbits in 2013!

Want to visit my LinkedIn Profile, which is one of the top 5% most viewed @LinkedIn profiles for 2012. Visit me here http://www.linkedin.com/pub/profile/28/260/222

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

WOI - Academy Awards Special - Let's Talk about The 2015 Academy Awards

Welcome to BlogTalkRadio's featured World of Ink Network. Join Virginia S Grenier and Marsha Casper Cook on Wed. Feb 25 - 9PM EST - 8 PM CST - 7 PM MT - 6 PM PST - It's all about the dream! It's going to be a great show with their guests, RJ Jeffreys, Melissa Keir, Arnold Rudnick,Kelly Abell and Joanna Lee Doster. On this special WOI: What Is Success show, you'll get the latest news about the 2015 Oscars who won, who lost, who cried and who laughed at the 87th Academy Awards ! Missed what happened and want to get the whole scoop? Visit http://oscar.go.com/ to get 2015 Oscars highlights from the red carpet to winning speeches! Listen in and have some fun! We invited you to post comments and questions in the chatroom. The World of Ink Network brings you show topics such as books, writing, interviews, self-help, empowerment, families and much more. For more info http://www.worldofinknetwork.com http://www.michiganavenuemedia.com Listen live or ...

Guest Post Wed: Creating Unique Characters

Too many characters in novels are too much alike. As a result, the stories and the characters' actions (and reactions) become predictable. You'd already know what would happen only a few chapters in the story! This is what you want to avoid when you're writing your own story – having characters that are too much like the other characters. There are way you can create characters that are different enough from each other that your readers won't get bored. Here are a few tips on how to do just that...