Skip to main content

The Healing Power of Story: Processing Grief Through Words, Connection, and Courage

 Grief has a way of pulling the air out of the room. It changes you—physically, emotionally, spiritually—and it doesn’t follow any neat, linear path, no matter how many well-intentioned people tell you it has “stages.” I know this not only from my studies as a counselor but also from personal experience. Losing a parent, or anyone who is part of the fabric of your everyday life, tears at the narrative of who we are and how we exist in the world.

When I spoke with Debbie Heisler on our Language of the Soul podcast, I was struck by how her own story of unimaginable loss led her to the very work that now helps others heal. Debbie is an author (Faith in the Middle, Whispers of Healing and Hope Grief Journal), a grief coach, and a community advocate who has transformed deep personal pain into a source of connection and hope for others.

Her story is tragic—her son was murdered in a custody dispute—but what stood out to me wasn’t just the loss itself. It was what she chose to do with it: write, advocate, and hold space for others. That’s the thing about story—it allows us to process trauma from both the inside and the outside. Whether it’s a journal entry written in the quiet hours of the morning or a published memoir, putting words to pain often reveals insights we didn’t know we were carrying.

As a counseling student, I couldn’t help but notice how Debbie’s process parallels what we know in narrative therapy: we are the authors of our lives, and how we tell our story affects how we heal. Trauma, as Bessel van der Kolk notes in The Body Keeps the Score, is not just in our minds; it lives in our bodies. By writing her book and creating a grief journal for others, Debbie gave herself and others a way to release what their bodies had been holding onto—fear, pain, guilt, anger—while discovering threads of resilience they might have missed otherwise.

Grief doesn’t always come from death. It shows up in job loss, estranged family relationships, moving away from a home you’ve always known, or even losing a dream. Debbie and I talked about how society still struggles to support people grieving anything outside of those “traditional” losses. Too often, we downplay grief or expect people to “get over it” on a timeline. The truth is, grief isn’t something we get over—it’s something we grow around.

That’s why I loved hearing how Debbie incorporates creative outlets like watercolor journaling into her grief groups. Creativity helps us bypass the logical, judgmental part of our brains and access what’s locked deep inside. And in that process—whether through painting, writing, or storytelling—grief loosens its grip, even just a little.

For me, one of the biggest takeaways from our conversation was the importance of vulnerability. It’s hard to be raw and honest about how much something hurts, especially in a world that still looks away when people cry or rage or simply can’t “function” at their usual level. But as Debbie shared, grief changes the mechanics of life—you have to relearn how to sit, stand, breathe, and exist without the person or dream you’ve lost. Breaking that process into small, intentional steps and giving yourself permission to feel it all is where healing begins.

If you’ve ever experienced grief—and we all have, in some form—I think this episode will meet you exactly where you are. Debbie’s compassion, wisdom, and hard-won insights offer practical ways to honor loss while still moving toward self-love and connection.

Take a moment, give yourself space to breathe, and listen to this powerful conversation. You might just find that her story opens a door to your own healing journey.

🎧 Listen to the full episode here: Language of the Soul Podcast

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...

Interview Friday with Mikey Brooks, author & Illustrator

VS: I want to thank you for being my guest here on The Writing Mama today. How long have you been writing? Mikey: I started writing when I was about 14 year old. I lived in a rural town in Missouri and our nearest neighbor was about a mile away. So friends were hard to come by. I fell in love with stories like Narnia and the Wizard of Oz and wished I could escape to these worlds. I had a hid out in the woods that surrounded our farm and I wrote about a world that existed in the reflection of a pond. I have a lot of fond memories about those woods. VS: What inspired you to write your books? Mikey: My children are the inspiration behind a lot of my stories now. Bean’s Dragons is based on my daughter and her imaginary dragons she has flying, parading, and trashing throughout the house. She was kind enough to let me glimpse into her world for just a moment to capture the magic within. My girls also love ABC books and shows. Because I love fantastical creatures, I wa...