Skip to main content

Come Meet the authors of Monkey Made Dream



Tom Listul wrote Monkey Made Dream with his daughter, Heather Listul Hewitt, when she was eight years old. A farmer from southwest Minnesota, he is also a singer/songwriter. Listul made Monkey Made Dream into a children’s song and has sang it at numerous coffee houses and children’s classrooms. Hewitt is now a speech-language pathologist, who works for a school district with students of all ages. She enjoys helping children develop literacy skills and a love for reading. 

 
VS: I want to thank you Tom and Heather for being my guests here on The Writing Mama today.  To get things started what do you do to help balance your writing life with your family life?

Tom: I draw ideas from everyday activity and make mental notes to myself or I write down an idea that I have that maybe I can use later on.  I try to find some time each day to write down something.

VS: How long have you been writing?

Tom: I have been writing off and on since I was about 19 or 20.  I go through productive times where ideas come easy and there are those other times when it is a struggle.

Heather: We wrote our song/book when I was 8 years old so you could say since then! I actually have not been good at continuing to write as I’d wish since I’ve been going to school and just finished my Master’s in August 2010.

VS: What inspired you to write?

Tom: I just started writing for the fun of it, and it has grown into an outlet that can take me many places.

Heather: Writing is a creative outlet, and it fun to see where you can go with a story.

VS: What is a typical writing day like for you?

Tom: My wish list writing day – would be sitting down with a cup of coffee early in the morning and having a creative idea that grows throughout the day.  At the end of the day having a story or song that I am proud of and excited about to see where it will go from there.

Heather: A typical writing day – I don’t know what that would be like.

VS: Is your family supportive of your writing?

Tom: My family is very supportive.  It is a part of their life as well as mine.

VS: What was the first thing you ever had published?

Tom: I am a songwriter.  I had a song published a few years ago, but this is the first children’s book.

Heather: Monkey Made Dream! J

VS: Can you share with us a little about your current book, Monkey Made Dream?

Tom & Heather: This is a story about a little girl who wakes up one morning and finds that her brother has been replaced by a monkey.  She takes the monkey to school and spends the day wondering what is real and what seems like a dream to her.

VS: What do you enjoy most about writing?

Tom: Escapement – pure and simple.  It is my therapy.

Heather: I agree with my dad. I think it is a way to escape and have a creative outlet.

VS: What is the most difficult part of writing?

Tom: Coming up with an idea to write about is one thing, but finishing a story can be very difficult for me.  I tend to be very critical once I start out with something I think is strong.

Heather: I think knowing where to go with an idea and how to organize a story    can be difficult.          

VS: What is the best writing advice you ever received?

Tom: Write something every day.  Even if it doesn’t pertain to anything in particular.  Just write, write, write.  This opens the door for ideas to grow from.

VS: Do you find it hard to balance your personal writing time with your other jobs?

Tom: I just am having fun with it. So, whenever I get a chance to write during my day, that is something I enjoy to do. You would always like to find more time to write, but sometimes leaving things alone for a while helps spur your writing also.

Heather: Yes, I wish I was able to make more time to write. It is my future goal to create time to write! It is important to take the time, even when you think you don’t have it – even if it is only for 5 minutes a day.

VS: Do you have any other works in progress? Can you share a little about them?

Tom: I have songs that I have written that are being pitched to different artists and record companies.  Also, I have some ideas that we are working on for another children’s book.

VS: The world of children’s book publishing is extremely competitive, with many authors hesitating between trying their luck with a traditional publisher or self publishing. What advice would you offer writers who are oscillating between these two publishing venues?

Tom: Well, that is a hard question.  As for me, I self published my children’s book and it is up to me to make people aware of it.  I like being involved with the process of getting my work to the public on my terms.

VS: How do you see the future of book publishing, both traditional, electronic, and print on demand?

Tom: I am not sure where everything will end up. I imagine self-publishing and the Internet will continue to grow.  But, I hope there will always be a traditional hard cover book available to sit down and read.

Heather: I own a Nook and it is very fun to use, but I also love ready from a hard cover book. It is much more of an experience to read from a real book.

VS: What tips can you give writing parents with children at home to help them see publication?

Tom: Never give up. Always continue to pursue that love of writing and remember whatever you have written can never be taken away from you.

Heather: Use the Internet and any other sources you may have to look for outlets to share your writing. Keep working at it, if it something you enjoy.

VS: What do you think are the basic ingredients of a story?

Tom: A story that takes you away somewhere.  A character that leads you there.

VS: What is required for a character to be believable? How do you create yours?

Tom: To me, it is someone you can relate to or find interesting within the story.  My character in our book is based on a little girl and her younger brother that I hope most kids can relate to.

VS: Have you received any awards?

Tom & Heather: No, not yet.  This is our first children’s book.

VS: Is there anything else you would like to share with us about being a “Writing Mama/Papa”?

Tom: All I can say is write because you love to write.  Have fun with it and don’t put too much pressure on yourself. 

Heather: Just enjoy the process.

VS: I thank you for taking the time to share with my readers about being a writing papa and mama.

 You can learn more about Tom & Heather at 



Monkey Made Dream is a fictional children's story about a little girl who wakes up to find a big surprise - there is a monkey in her brother's bed! She experiences a whole day with the monkey from getting him dressed to taking him to school, and she wonders all along if her brother has really changed into a monkey. The book captures a magical day with twists and turns as a little girl discovers that dreams can come true!
Publisher: Trafford Publishing
ISBN Number: 9781426949869
Publication Date: December 8, 2010

Author's: Tom Listul and Heather Listul Hewitt


Publisher Website: Trafford Publishing www.trafford.com


Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

WOI - Academy Awards Special - Let's Talk about The 2015 Academy Awards

Welcome to BlogTalkRadio's featured World of Ink Network. Join Virginia S Grenier and Marsha Casper Cook on Wed. Feb 25 - 9PM EST - 8 PM CST - 7 PM MT - 6 PM PST - It's all about the dream! It's going to be a great show with their guests, RJ Jeffreys, Melissa Keir, Arnold Rudnick,Kelly Abell and Joanna Lee Doster. On this special WOI: What Is Success show, you'll get the latest news about the 2015 Oscars who won, who lost, who cried and who laughed at the 87th Academy Awards ! Missed what happened and want to get the whole scoop? Visit http://oscar.go.com/ to get 2015 Oscars highlights from the red carpet to winning speeches! Listen in and have some fun! We invited you to post comments and questions in the chatroom. The World of Ink Network brings you show topics such as books, writing, interviews, self-help, empowerment, families and much more. For more info http://www.worldofinknetwork.com http://www.michiganavenuemedia.com Listen live or ...

Guest Post Wed: Creating Unique Characters

Too many characters in novels are too much alike. As a result, the stories and the characters' actions (and reactions) become predictable. You'd already know what would happen only a few chapters in the story! This is what you want to avoid when you're writing your own story – having characters that are too much like the other characters. There are way you can create characters that are different enough from each other that your readers won't get bored. Here are a few tips on how to do just that...