Skip to main content

Guest Post with illustrator Ronda Eden - part of the World of Ink May '11 Virtual Tour

Publishing Tips (dos and don'ts)
By Ronda Eden Illustrator of "The Brothers Foot"
This is the one I’m betting Steve, the author, is avoiding. I know this because we are alike in that promotion, publishing and all the business parts of our work is hardly our forte. Like most artists, we just want to be left alone to do our art. We are however, making an effort...but it’s not easy. I think I could offer a few tips though as I do some writing for children as well.  
First: Keep up with the latest trends and how things are quickly changing.
Second: As much as you may not like Facebook and other social networks, they are fast becoming a necessity if you want to get the word out there. Do keep some boundaries tough. It’s easy to get distracted and led astray.
Third: Be careful of self-publishing companies. Make sure you understand the costs involved. Realize you are probably going to have to buy your own books and usually in bulk to get any kind of profit margin. Some of the self-publishing companies are very large and have become (I think) impersonal. This may not bother you, as they can also be very efficient and produce a nice finished product. I just found the last time I dealt with them I never got to speak to the same person twice.
Fourth: Start off with magazines. Get an up to date copy of Children’s Writers and Illustrator’s Market, as it is a good all around source of information and resources to help you figure out your niche. It contains really helpful articles as well.
Fifth: Have a look at a variety of publishing options and keep a creative and open mind.
I hope my list of tips was helpful. Thank you for letting me share my thoughts, Ronda Eden, Illustrator, The Brothers Foot
 
You can follow "The Brothers Foot" May'11 World of Ink Tour with author Steve Cormey and illustrator Ronda Eden at http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/TheBrothersFoot.aspx

Also, tune today at the World of Ink Network show: Stories for Children with hosts: VS Grenier, Kris Quinn Christopherson and Irene Roth as they chat with Ronda and Steve about their fun, colorful book, "The Brothers Foot."

The Live Radio Interview is at 11am MST (10am PST, Noon Central and 1pm EST)
at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/worldofinknetwork or call in to listen or ask questions (714) 242-5259.
You can also listen on demand after the show airs!

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

Babysitter Beware Book Drawing!

Mom's Choice Awards posted an interview with me on December 10, 2012. Imagine my surprise when I saw the twitt go out when I was at the Mesquite Festival of Books. I remembered them sending me a few questions to answer some months back but never heard a peep after. The interview shares about my inspiration, writing my award-winning book (which has won not only the Silver Mom's Choice Seal but also the 2011 Silver Quill here in Utah) and a bit about me in general. Yes, there are a few typos, not sure if that was me typing replies to questions at 2am in the morning or what...but the overall interview is done well. Here is little sample: VS Grenier (or Virginia, as we like to call her) is not just a children’s book author – she’s also founder and owner of Stories For Children Publishing, LLC ; chief editor for Halo Publishing, Int ; host of several blog talk radio shows – including  The World of Ink Network: Stories for Children and The Writing Mama ; and more!...