I was sent this link today about bookstores. The Wall Street Journal discusses if bookstores are doomed like the record stores 10 years ago. The debate over weather eBook readers are going to be the way of life or will people still want to hold a book between there hands is on. I for one think bookstores maybe on their way to downsizing, but being wiped off the map like the record stores of old . . . no! Why? Because too many people still like to curl up in bed, in front of a fire, or under a shady tree while they read. I know I love turning the pages of a book, feeling it in my hands, and dogearing the corner to mark my spot. Think about a child trying to sit on mommy's or daddy's lat reading an eBook. I just don't see it. Plus you can' see the full spread of a children's picture book on an eBook reader. At least not from what I've seen. Yeah, eBooks are cool, hot and part of our life-style. My hubby loves getting a chapter a day sent to his smart phone to read on his breaks. They are popular and becoming mainstream, but books will never completely go away. Even CD's are still around even though people have MP4, MP3, and Ipods. I even know a few people who still collect records.
I would love to know your thoughts on this subject and for fun . . . I have embedded the clip from The Wall Street Journal.
Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...