Skip to main content

Reopenings and New Beginnings

Boy have I been emailing like crazy today. I don't think I have sent so much time on email in months. Today, I finished formatting the SFC Newsletter for Writers, so must of my emailing was making sure all the subscribers received their newsletter. I'm sure many of them were excited to see it since I took the month of July off. There was a lot of information and tips this month to share with the ever growing subscriber list. The other task that still has me emailing is Stories for Children Magazine. I say still because I'm only taking a break right now to post here on The Writing Mama. I needed a nice change of pace for a short bit before I start my crazy emailing routine yet again. Okay . . . okay, I'll share what I'm up to with Stories for Children Magazine. As many of you know, I put the magazine on hiatus due to the birth of my baby girl and being sick with H1N1 at the end of last year. How I have missed working with all of the talented authors and illustrators, and putting out each issue of Stories for Children Magazine together each month. I am really excited to say the day is getting closer when Stories for Children Magazine will reopen its doors to submissions. Right now, I’m looking for people interested in joining the SFC Team. This is a totally volunteer job currently, however, I am always looking into ways Stories for Children Magazine can become a paying market and job for those behind the scenes. There are also some changes to the publications. Such as, instead of 12 issues a year, Stories for Children Magazine will only be putting out 9 issues a year. Also, the articles in the magazine have been cut back from 9 per issue to 6 per issue. I am also breaking up the Fiction and Poetry departments into their own departments to help with the workload of these two categories. Theses are just some of the changes to come. But first to put a new SFC Team together. I, of course, contacted the old SFC Team first to see if any of them would like to rejoin. What is great about working with Stories for Children Magazine are the connections you make. Many of the old team are unable to rejoin because they are busy with marketing their books, working with paying magazines, or even trying to keep up with their expanding freelance business. It amazes me how well they are all doing and I'm very excited for them. How I will miss many of them on the team, but that only opens opportunities for Stories for Children Magazine to find new talent, which brings me back to the positions I'm looking to fill currently. The positions open are as follows: Poetry Editor Assistant Poetry Editor Assistant Fiction Editor Nonfiction Editor Assistant Nonfiction Editor Youth & Activities Editor Blog Editor Interviewer Marketing Manager Copy Editor Proofreader Book Reviewer Educational Writer Art Director Being a part of the SFC Team is an experience all its own. I may not be able to pay my staff or contributors in cash, but I do pay it forward with support, marketing, and helping those who help me down the path to their writing dreams. If you are interested in joining the SFC Team, please send me an email at vsgrenier@storiesforchildrenmagazine.org. Include in your email your writing resume, any publications, what position you would like to work in, and your contact information. Note: this is a volunteer job. Stories for Children Publishing, LLC is currently a non-paying market in all its divisions. I look forward to the reopening of Stories for Children Magazine and working with all of you and the old contributors again. Your talents and contributions to the magazine have made us what we are!

Popular posts from this blog

OWNING: Only One of You

Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer in the early 20th century, wrote in a letter to one of her students: "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open." Graham's words ring true. There is only one of you in the world: The way you think, the way you see things, the way you respond, the way you nurture yourself and other people, the way you go about doing mundane things. The way you love, the way you express, the way you tell a story, the way you write. The world will know of and witness only one you . The totality of you -- talents, nuances, thought proc...

WOI - Academy Awards Special - Let's Talk about The 2015 Academy Awards

Welcome to BlogTalkRadio's featured World of Ink Network. Join Virginia S Grenier and Marsha Casper Cook on Wed. Feb 25 - 9PM EST - 8 PM CST - 7 PM MT - 6 PM PST - It's all about the dream! It's going to be a great show with their guests, RJ Jeffreys, Melissa Keir, Arnold Rudnick,Kelly Abell and Joanna Lee Doster. On this special WOI: What Is Success show, you'll get the latest news about the 2015 Oscars who won, who lost, who cried and who laughed at the 87th Academy Awards ! Missed what happened and want to get the whole scoop? Visit http://oscar.go.com/ to get 2015 Oscars highlights from the red carpet to winning speeches! Listen in and have some fun! We invited you to post comments and questions in the chatroom. The World of Ink Network brings you show topics such as books, writing, interviews, self-help, empowerment, families and much more. For more info http://www.worldofinknetwork.com http://www.michiganavenuemedia.com Listen live or ...

Guest Post Wed: Creating Unique Characters

Too many characters in novels are too much alike. As a result, the stories and the characters' actions (and reactions) become predictable. You'd already know what would happen only a few chapters in the story! This is what you want to avoid when you're writing your own story – having characters that are too much like the other characters. There are way you can create characters that are different enough from each other that your readers won't get bored. Here are a few tips on how to do just that...